Was I wrong ?

fearthebeard

I really am enjoying the thread and thanks for posting it, but regarding the size, age or whatever that you feel you should be taking, you should never feel that you need anyone's approval but your own. Do not let others influence how you feel about hunting and whatever kill that satisfies you. We have too much of that going on these days where we spend way too much time worrying about what someone else thinks we should be hunting. If you can break that mindset, I think your enjoyment of hunting will jump a few hundred percent.

• Like 3

I think you should do it your way, its what you want out of the hunt. Here where I live it not impossible to find a mature buck with the rack and body weight, but they didn't get that way being stupid. Most go or are nocturnal and your best chance to get a shot would be during the rut, stick close to the Doe the more the better than use the wind direction to your advantage. If you want to kill a big buck NY may not be the place to pick and choose because when you let that eight go he may not live long enough to grow, I'd head to Saskatchewan. Or the USA states with big bucks there are a lot of big buck hunting with out the people population that the Bucks grow to the size your looking for.

Edited by Huntscreek

My buck that I thought was a six I'm so proud though quick kill to only ran 20 yards

Congrats on your buck 

During bow season when I have time to really look at a buck I might count tines. 

the deer I shot this year during gun opener I knew had bone on his head and I shot him. 

My buddies son shot a deer he thought was a nice six and it was a nice 10 point. 

I don't understand why some hunters think they're heroes for all the deer they pass.  

never second guess yourself when you make a choice about what, where or when to kill a deer... if it's legal it isn't "wrong".. it's more wrong to worry yourself over a choice you made in good conscience and under the law... hunting is suppose to be enjoyable like any hobby.. we make decisions based on the circumstances at the time... if you thought it was right then... then it is still right now.

Congrats on your deer!  It's really easy for us to answer, you do what makes you happy!  This was my first year "really" passing Deer.  I passed a 6pt and spike during archery.  I then blew 2 opportunities at mature 8's.  I did take a nice doe Oct. 12th.  I don't enjoy gun season and have only been out opening morning.  Now looking back it would have been nice to take the 6 point with the bow.  However, you can't look at this way.  Not every year will be "your" year. 

Congrats on your buck!!!