Buffalo taken in 7j

irish_redneck

I was just talking about this animal with some friends from there last week.  The word I got was apparently there was a farm right around there that had a bunch of them.  They went out of business this spring and when they were loading the herd to send to sale/slaughter this one got loose.  They couldn't catch it and weren't too concerned about it I guess.

• Like 1

The Owner does is not released from liability for any damages caused by their animals just because they found a way outside of the fence. My thought is that any of today's light-weight vehicles going highway speeds that hits a buffalo is likely to fare well with such an encounter and a fatality is perhaps likely.

The same results would apply to a confused and ornery buffalo that might take into his mind to squash a person regardless of the circumstances.

I am not sure what the penal law says about all of that, but you would certainly think that the plaintiffs in a civil suit would have a pretty strong case for a substantial award. I would think that alone would make the owner of the animal very happy to have someone put it down for them.

The Owner does is not released from liability for any damages caused by their animals just because they found a way outside of the fence. My thought is that any of today's light-weight vehicles going highway speeds that hits a buffalo is likely to fare well with such an encounter and a fatality is perhaps likely.

The same results would apply to a confused and ornery buffalo that might take into his mind to squash a person regardless of the circumstances.

I am not sure what the penal law says about all of that, but you would certainly think that the plaintiffs in a civil suit would have a pretty strong case for a substantial award. I would think that alone would make the owner of the animal very happy to have someone put it down for them.

I'm pretty sure the NYS Penal Law says nothing about that.........civil liability and the ECL may be another story.

There was quite a few ( 9 or 10 )that got loose from the property where they were housed a few years ago near me, they had all sorts of groups  out trying to capture them which most were but at the end a few had to be shot after a few weeks..           

Just incase you guys missed this part...as I said looks like they were backing away in the fist piece....

Lazarsky said a live animal at the size they described is worth nearly $2,500 alive. A calf is worth about half that amount.

DEC Law Enforcement Captain George Steele said the DEC did not give Berger and Simpson permission to kill the buffalo. Authorities have been unable to confirm who gave the order to kill the animal.

Madison County Sheriff’s and New York State Police are looking further into the matter, although officials at both offices insist the case was handled by another department.

New York State Police Public Information Officer Jack Keller said there are no reports processed by state police concerning the incident over the weekend and that it was not reported to state police.

Initial information from the DEC indicated the investigation would have normally been carried out by the state Department of Agriculture and Markets, though Commissioner Joe Morrissey insists veterinarians and other staff at his offices were not involved in the investigation in any way.

Environmental Conservation Officer Christopher Childs, who Berger and Simpson said gave the “OK” to kill the buffalo, was off according to office staff. Childs was reached by phone on Friday, but deferred all comments to the DEC Law Enforcement office.

Steele said no DEC officer gave the hunters permission to shoot the buffalo.

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...