DEC “TIPP” PROGRAM GOES ONLINE

DEC “TIPP” PROGRAM GOES ONLINE

Once Telephone Only, “Turn in Poachers and Polluters” Now Available via Web

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today announced the launch of an online form for citizens to report environmental violations.

Located at www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html, the new web page assists those who can provide thorough and relevant information about an alleged violation. The form prompts the complainant to describe what occurred, when it happened and where the violation was witnessed.  Complainants may remain anonymous or confidential.  Detailed initial complaints assist DEC Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs) in a timely and complete investigation of complaints and potential arrests against those who are violating environmental laws.

“This is an expansion of DEC’s successful ‘Turn in Poachers and Polluters’ (TIPP) Hotline,” said Peter Fanelli, DEC Director of Law Enforcement, referring to the long-established telephone tip system.  “Citizens have always played a vital role in helping DEC enforce state environmental laws and regulations. This new web tool gives them one more option for alerting us to potential problems.”

Persons can still make a complaint by phone using the DEC hotline at 1-800-TIPP-DEC (1-800-847-7332).  In fact, if an emergency situation exists and or an immediate response is needed, calling the hotline is the best option. Director Fanelli emphasized that a person should never put himself or herself at risk to obtain information.  Instead, one should gather whatever details possible without trespassing or exposing themselves to harmful materials or situations.

To find the new web form without typing in the URL, log into the DEC website main page at www.dec.ny.gov and type “TIPP” in the search box at the top right hand side of the page, then click on the first document, “Report an Environmental Violation Online”.

• 4 weeks later...

It shouldn't ...for they have a good ole boy system and gladly give out names of ppl who call in...I have a nieghbor with a scanner and wow the info they gather on ppl over that is amazing....just the other day someone on a road parallel to us called about a wounded deer running across their place...the neighbor was telling me about the conversation the police and DEC had over the radio and exactly where the call came from....Now I don't have a scanner...but can tell you most ppl around here do...whats that tell ya?

Great way to waste the DEC time and money, both of which they have a shotage off!.

If you kick a trespassoring (or 2,3,4) off of private land what's to prevent them from Anonymously accusing you of baiting, hunting at night, or whatever.  Now the DEC will be out chasing their own tails due to sour grapes when they could be after real bad guys. I'm nop lawyer but I seem to remember as a US citizens isn't it our Const. right to question our accusors?  We all say we are against poaching then we should man up and speak up, not hide.  Just my opinion.

Great way to waste the DEC time and money, both of which they have a shotage off!.

If you kick a trespassoring (or 2,3,4) off of private land what's to prevent them from Anonymously accusing you of baiting, hunting at night, or whatever.  Now the DEC will be out chasing their own tails due to sour grapes when they could be after real bad guys. I'm nop lawyer but I seem to remember as a US citizens isn't it our Const. right to question our accusors?  We all say we are against poaching then we should man up and speak up, not hide.  Just my opinion.

I am not afraid of approaching anyone on their offenses....but with a wife and a child at home you really have to think of the consequences. Most of these violations rarely carry any jail time and that is a perfect recepie for retribution. tough call