Finally got the green light!!

I've been preaching to my dad for years that we need a serious food plot on our 90 acres with no luck. Our piece is all woods and so is everyone surrounding us. There are a couple crp fields. I would probably have to drive a few miles to find a corn field. Well I finally got the go ahead. I think will be looking around 2-3 acres (id do more but this is a big step for my dad). The area im looking at is 2nd growth maple/ash trees all medium to small diameter. So the plan is to cut down the trees for firewood then have the dozer come thru to clear out the stumps. Gosh I hope its easy winter to get a big jump on this by spring. Maybe ill start a journal and post the progress once started.

• Like 2

I just also scored a large aerial map of part of the property where will be install the plot This really gives me a much better view then going to google earth. This will really help with the plot design/location.

So this map has a 1acre scale in the corner so I traced it to paper and cut out a bunch of 1 acre squares then I place them over one of the existing bedding areas to determine it about 8-9 acres. I'm planning on enhancing it this winter and making it a half a sanc. Half a sanc is my term of part sanctuary. Its off limits except for enhancment and shed hunting/scouting in the spring.

post-2758-0-36193300-1418097856_thumb.jp

Good luck setting up the plot. While you're in there you might also want to think about leaving a small patch of trees or shrubs to set up a ground blind in case your dad doesn't want to climb a stand... Also some areas to funnel the deer through and set up some permanent stands for rifle. Is there any water sources on the property? If not, maybe leave a shallow spot for water to collect in case Mr Buck and family want to look for a spot to take a drink, while leaving some nice bow spots. Just some thoughts, before you clear everything. Looks like you should have some nice deer next season. Best of luck.

Good luck setting up the plot. While you're in there you might also want to think about leaving a small patch of trees or shrubs to set up a ground blind in case your dad doesn't want to climb a stand... Also some areas to funnel the deer through and set up some permanent stands for rifle. Is there any water sources on the property? If not, maybe leave a shallow spot for water to collect in case Mr Buck and family want to look for a spot to take a drink, while leaving some nice bow spots. Just some thoughts, before you clear everything. Looks like you should have some nice deer next season. Best of luck.

There are 2 water sources. One natural spring that would divide the bedding area and the food plot. Im just working on design of the plot for the best hunting setup with the wind and best way to access. This map really helps you see everything a lot better.

Talk to your dozer operator before cutting the trees.  They are much easier to push over as trees rather than stumps.  This may save you some labor cost

Where were you able to find such a large aerial map of the property?  I have been trying to find one for mine without much luck

Talk to your dozer operator before cutting the trees.  They are much easier to push over as trees rather than stumps.  This may save you some labor cost

Where were you able to find such a large aerial map of the property?  I have been trying to find one for mine without much luck

Thanks for the dozer tip. Since will use them for firewood I thought it would be the easies to cut and remove and leave a few feet for the dozer to grab no? My bro works out of state at an engineering firm and was able to make them up. I bet if u hit up some type of survey business or maybe certain const companies u might be in luck.

I also highly recommend both of Neil Dougherty's books.  Very easy reads and they contain lots off great information concerning food plots and sanctuaries and their preferred location on properties ie. wind direction etc.  For example, he advises that sanctuaries be located on the farthest upwind portion of the properties and destination food plots on the furthest downwind portion possible.  It would be well worth your time to read both of these books before you start

• Like 1

ZAG,  Bottom line = I'm very very envious!!!  I have been attempting to convince my brother for 2 or 3 years to no avail.  Your land will hold the deer so much more!

Great decision!

Thanks TM, What i would say in my experience is just keep trying to take steps. I've seemed to take the position of let the small bucks go and try for the bigger bucks and take does for meat. Ive always been throwing out ideas and why we should be doing them and pointing out weak areas on the land. Finally i got him to help clear out less the a half acre for a small plot 5yrs ago and i think he started to enjoy it. Then came the tsi which we completed pretty fast. I also have a brother who wouldn't change a thing with the land and wonder why he isn't seeing anything. It should be an awesome time.

Yes, really cool!  Sometimes preseason prep is more fun then hunting.  Spend a lot of productive time with friends and family, accomplish chores and basically enjoy the property.  Hunting can get lonely,  it's so great we have company when down there.  Even better it's my Brother and Dad, I couldn't imagine not having them...  hopefully that isn't for a very long time....

Edited by Taylormike

I also highly recommend both of Neil Dougherty's books.  Very easy reads and they contain lots off great information concerning food plots and sanctuaries and their preferred location on properties ie. wind direction etc.  For example, he advises that sanctuaries be located on the farthest upwind portion of the properties and destination food plots on the furthest downwind portion possible.  It would be well worth your time to read both of these books before you start

Good call, im 8 chapters deep in his book as we speak + countless other research. I could read this stuff all day.

Thanks for the dozer tip. Since will use them for firewood I thought it would be the easies to cut and remove and leave a few feet for the dozer to grab no? My bro works out of state at an engineering firm and was able to make them up. I bet if u hit up some type of survey business or maybe certain const companies u might be in luck.

check with the dozer guy.  if he pushes the trees into a pile I would be VERY careful trying to go in there to cut firewood from the pile. when they doze trees into a pile the trees can have alot of pressure on them, sometimes all you need to do is touch the tree with a chainsaw and they will widow.  

any time we have ever done any clear cutting prior to dozer work we left 5-6 feet of stump and we never had any issues.