Question about a bear mount.

bowtech2

I just got back from my taxidermist Kurt Fox. I have to figure out what to do with my black bear. It's was 205 lbs. Its my first bear. So I'm thinking of getting a full mount. Would most of you get a full mount done? If anyone has pic of 200 lbs bear full mount id love to see some pics. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have not had a bear done, my Dad and I do use Kurt for all our taxidermy work. He has done 20-30 mounts for us over the years. What was his opinion? I would think there are certain styles that would look better than others given the size of your bear. Other option is just getting a shoulder mount done, or a 3/4 mounts.  Google "200lb bear mount" under google images and you will get some idea.s

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

While I have not had a bear done, my Dad and I do use Kurt for all our taxidermy work. He has done 20-30 mounts for us over the years. What was his opinion? I would think there are certain styles that would look better than others given the size of your bear. Other option is just getting a shoulder mount done, or a 3/4 mounts. Google "200lb bear mount" under google images and you will get some idea.s

Kurt has done few thing for me. He said if you don't plan on going on bear hunt again. Go with a full. He also said 200lbs is good size bear. Next to my dad's monster it will look like a cub lol. If I go for bears again it might not be for 3yrs. Since we are planing a trip out west.

Kurt has done few thing for me. He said if you don't plan on going on bear hunt again. Go with a full. He also said 200lbs is good size bear. Next to my dad's monster it will look like a cub lol. If I go for bears again it might not be for 3yrs. Since we are planing a trip out west.

Makes sense. If its your only bear mount it will look great. I have a basket 8pt buck mounted that doesn't even come close to 100" but looks great because I have no other whitetails mounted.

200 lbs is an average bear in ny. I would do a rug personally, was going to do a rug with the 400 pounder I shot, but decided if I got another beAR it would not.likely be over 400 lbs. So I did a full mount. If your going out west a bear of over 200 is more than likely. So a full mount of that would be better as a rug that size would cover a big wall. 200 lbs 5 by 7 after felt. A 400 lb would be 6x9 wit felt. A smaller bear is much easier to display as a rug than a large one and if it came down to it 1/3 the cost and 2x resale value of a full mount.

I just got back from my taxidermist Kurt Fox. I have to figure out what to do with my black bear. It's was 205 lbs. Its my first bear. So I'm thinking of getting a full mount. Would most of you get a full mount done? If anyone has pic of 200 lbs bear full mount id love to see some pics. Thank you.

check out Mckenzie taxidermy web site (http://www.mckenziesp.com) they supply forms and bases to taxiderist. you should be able to get an idea on a mount.

if you have the room get a full mount, then get a rug with the next bear

here is one of my maine bears...was about 180 pounds

post-2420-0-91308200-1420034438_thumb.jp

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 3

check out Mckenzie taxidermy web site (http://www.mckenziesp.com) they supply forms and bases to taxiderist. you should be able to get an idea on a mount.

if you have the room get a full mount, then get a rug with the next bear

here is one of my maine bears...was about 180 pounds

Mine was from Maine also. My fathers bear was 464lbs so he is getting his a full mount. Edited by bowtech2

I have heard that 200 pounds or smaller are good-eating, but the larger ones are not worth dragging out of the woods because the flavor and texture of the meat is so poor.  I have also heard that there is lots of waste on bear carcasses, and they produce much less usable meat per pound of body weight than a whitetail.  Considering all that, and if you want a rug or mount, I would think that a 180 - 200 pounder is just about perfect as far as a bear goes.   I am looking forward to going after one next season.      

I have heard that 200 pounds or smaller are good-eating, but the larger ones are not worth dragging out of the woods because the flavor and texture of the meat is so poor. I have also heard that there is lots of waste on bear carcasses, and they produce much less usable meat per pound of body weight than a whitetail. Considering all that, and if you want a rug or mount, I would think that a 180 - 200 pounder is just about perfect as far as a bear goes. I am looking forward to going after one next season.

I really thought mine tasted good. I kick myself for donating it. It had a lot a fat on it. But my dads bear had about 9" of fat on it.