Question for FSW

jjb4900

Givin the chance...And a free ride...Most everyone on this site would go hunt high fence. Of course they will deny it but if the truth be known....And many have said they would...As long as it was not the beloved bambi.  A pig,A fence..No Problem!

I have no problem killing an animal behind a fence, animals are animals and they die one way or another to feed us...........if it's free I'll kill whatever you offer me....if I pay $5000.00, give me a Buffalo or another animal with a lot of meat, but I won't call it hunting or consider an accomplishment...hell, I paid thousands of dollars to go to Newfoundland to hunt Woodland Caribou and did nothing with it other than eat the meat, if you doubt me, I'll send you pictures of the rack that I nailed to my shed, or what's left after the Squirrels have been chewing on them for the past few years......but either way, I kill animals for the meat and nothing else.

• Like 2

FSW - since you don't offer any hunts, aren't you missing out on the even bigger $? I assume HF ranches buy bucks from you? Which means they make a profit by charging guys to hunt them. So why not offer hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can have hunts on any one of the 6 one acre pens i have. Most of my deer go to other farms as breeders. The only ones that go to high fence ranches are the ones that dont pan out like their breeding says they should. I am thinking about fencing in 100 acres or so and do archery only hunts. One on one. That way i can invite every mouth that says high fence is not hunting over for a few day,s to let them try and kill a buck of their liking. I will show you the pics of bucks to pick from and you go kill that buck. You kill him and he's yours with no charge.

Every failure would be made public

• Like 2

I can have hunts on any one of the 6 one acre pens i have. Most of my deer go to other farms as breeders. The only ones that go to high fence ranches are the ones that dont pan out like their breeding says they should. I am thinking about fencing in 100 acres or so and do archery only hunts. One on one. That way i can invite every mouth that says high fence is not hunting over for a few day,s to let them try and kill a buck of their liking. I will show you the pics of bucks to pick from and you go kill that buck. You kill him and he's yours with no charge.

Every failure would be made public

sign me up...I'll be happy to be the first to try.

I love ya Law, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. Not looking to get into a pissing match, but I definitely think a well run HF preserve can be a real hunt. There's a few preserves that give the rest a bad name (small area, unhealthy animals, etc) but I've hunted a couple that were really nice. The operators had a real passion & cared about the wellbeing of the animals. The animals were healthy & they had a lot of space to live. I've hunted or been along on hunts behind HF a few times, not once did an animal get shot as it was cornered in a fence, nor did they get shot at a feeder. They were wild animals, & many were born in the preserve, having very little human contact their entire lives. Just because they may see humans doesn't make them trusting or tame. If that's the case then 99.9% of whitetails can't be considered truly wild because almost all of them have some type of contact with people. It wasn't just walking out and shooting. As far as I'm concerned, it's hunting (on a good preserve). It's not for everyone, but I don't look down on it at all. I'm not ashamed to say I've done it. I have no regrets & would hunt HF again in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing I'll get bashed for posting this, but oh well.  It's my opinion, & I'm sticking to it.

Our relationship is sooo much deeper than a little squabble like this................ :airkiss:

:D

I don't think I said anything derogatory about a preserve other than they are a shoe in, unless of course a hunter doesn't find the animal he is after.  And I'm talking the high end white-tail hunts.

I've only hunted one preserve; spring of 2013 for hogs.  It was far from a challenge but still a hoot!

Matter of fact I just tossed most of the meat in the trash a few weeks ago, it was that bad. 

By the way, did you or anybody else go home empty handed from those hunts?

Our relationship is sooo much deeper than a little squabble like this................ :airkiss:

:D

I don't think I said anything derogatory about a preserve other than they are a shoe in, unless of course a hunter doesn't find the animal he is after.  And I'm talking the high end white-tail hunts.

I've only hunted one preserve; spring of 2013 for hogs.  It was far from a challenge but still a hoot!

Matter of fact I just tossed most of the meat in the trash a few weeks ago, it was that bad. 

By the way, did you or anybody else go home empty handed from those hunts?

Awww, :airkiss: right back at ya.

Nope, I never did go home empty handed & I'm glad I didn't!  I forked over a lot of $ for my last hunt, & it woulda sucked to lose it.  I busted my ass all winter, took all the OT I could get, & cut back on a lot of stuff, so I could do that hunt. Going home empty handed would have blown. I know that's a risk on any hunting trip that's free range, but I don't make a ton of $ and if I'm going to drop some of it to hunt, I want to make a kill. The last one I went on, I wanted to use archery but the guides weren't sure I would get a chance, & asked that I bring a gun just in case. It took a weekend, but I was able to use the bow.

Awww, :airkiss: right back at ya.

Nope, I never did go home empty handed & I'm glad I didn't!  I forked over a lot of $ for my last hunt, & it woulda sucked to lose it.  I busted my ass all winter, took all the OT I could get, & cut back on a lot of stuff, so I could do that hunt. Going home empty handed would have blown. I know that's a risk on any hunting trip that's free range, but I don't make a ton of $ and if I'm going to drop some of it to hunt, I want to make a kill. The last one I went on, I wanted to use archery but the guides weren't sure I would get a chance, & asked that I bring a gun just in case. It took a weekend, but I was able to use the bow.

I have no problem with people hunting HF.................

What animals have you hunted on those hunts?

Been in on a couple of hog & ram hunts. I shot a watusi (note I didn't say "hunt", I just shot it for meat. More fun than buying beef) And most recently, a Pere David's deer, which can't be hunted in the wild.

post-1188-0-04100000-1420859839_thumb.jp

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

I enjoy venison and that is probably the biggest reason I hunt, but if hunting ever gets to the point where it's only behind a fence, that will be the end of hunting for me. Maybe I'll go to one of these farms and even get me some venison, but I'll just pay the farmer to go out and slaughter a deer for me to take home. I sure as hell won't pretend that I actually hunted one down in a place like that just to brag that I shot something myself while out "hunting". Absolutely NO point in that. I'd be lying to myself more than to anyone else.

• Like 2

The meat was not as good as we'd hoped. It was at peak rut, & he smelled strongly like goat. Unfortunately, the meat tasted slightly like a goat smells. He was quartered & on ice within 1.5 hours of dying, so it wasn't mishandling. We ground a lot of it, & the rest we seasoned to death.

Years ago I did a hog hunt in Fl. I think it was 1000 acres. The also offered turkey, deer and gators. There was a guy deer huntinging same day I was there and he didn't even see one.

I'm going out on a limb here and thinking this was a low budget HF deal that you went on.........the places I'm talking about aren't going to have people ramming around hunting hogs and such while a spendy hunt is going down.

I bet he would see a buck at some of these places (and no hog hunters :D )........

http://www.sanctuary-ranch.com/

http://www.cherryridge.com/Welcome.html

http://www.dreamwhitetails.com/Home.htm

My question is, if high fence hunting is as challenging as free roaming whitetail, what is the advantage and why do it?

No other hunters to fight with,Much safer, Most places offer a 3 day trip in an awesome ranch with great eats and drinks. Not to even talk about the great animals. Most people that hunt high fence dont own land and have little time to hunt. Most people think big massive bucks when they hear high fence but truth is, most bucks taken are 150-180's  They dont spend all their money on cams and food plots and travel costs. They hunt 3 days, Most will kill a buck because thats what they are there for but its not a walk in and your deer is standing there waiting on you. There are bad apples but most get ran out by our own industry, we dont need that crap either.

You ask why? Let me ask..Why would someone drop 3-5 grand to an outfitter in say Iowa for a chance to just see a deer that scores the minimum 140 inch buck, let alone get a shot and kill that buck?  Choice is what its all about. Different strokes for different folks!

• Like 1

I'm going out on a limb here and thinking this was a low budget HF deal that you went on.........the places I'm talking about aren't going to have people ramming around hunting hogs and such while a spendy hunt is going down.

I bet he would see a buck at some of these places (and no hog hunters :D )........

http://www.sanctuary-ranch.com/

http://www.cherryridge.com/Welcome.html

http://www.dreamwhitetails.com/Home.htm

2000 acres under high fence. You think it would be that easy to see a pic of a buck and go find and kill said buck in  2000 acres?

99% of hunters have no clue how big 2000 acres really is. I can promise you that most hunters could not kill said buck in that 2000 acres,even with a rifle. A Bow? Yeah right, I would like to take bets on that one. 

150's to 180's is huge for NY. The fact that it's not to the high fence industry speaks volumes to me. They are basically manufacturing whitetail to cater to guys who feel the score is more important than the hunt. To each their own, but if someone doesn't think there is a difference between fair chase and high fence then they're lying to themselves.

Edited by Terry
  • Like 2

150's to 180's is huge for NY. The fact that it's not to the high fence industry speaks volumes to me. They are basically manufacturing whitetail to cater to guys who feel the score is more important than the hunt. To each their own, but if someone doesn't think there is a difference between fair chase and high fence then they're lying to themselves.

So tell us your high fence hunts. What animals were you after while you were there?  So are you one of the few great whites that can pick out an animal and go harvest that animal on 2000 acres of fenced in property? If so you are a better hunter than most.

So tell us your high fence hunts. What animals were you after while you were there? So are you one of the few great whites that can pick out an animal and go harvest that animal on 2000 acres of fenced in property? If so you are a better hunter than most.

Give me or anyone else a rifle when there is snow on the ground, a license to harvest them all, and let us loose in there, and there won't be a deer left when we're done.

And the fact that you know for sure that the class of animal your after is in there, cuts about 80% of the work out of it.

I didn't say it would be a walk in the park, however it definitely gives you a huge advantage over fair chase.

Give me or anyone else a rifle when there is snow on the ground, a license to harvest them all, and let us loose in there, and there won't be a deer left when we're done.

And the fact that you know for sure that the class of animal your after is in there, cuts about 80% of the work out of it.

I didn't say it would be a walk in the park, however it definitely gives you a huge advantage over fair chase.

Really rifle, snow on the ground.does that have anything to do with it. Its a pen remember. You make statements on you have never even done before. When i hunt no fence i still know what size animal i am going to harvest so the fence means nothing. You dont think there are a pile of different size bucks on a fenced in area just as there is in the 2000 non fenced in acres. 1 animal. one on one with a rifle in 2000 acres of fenced property and i am betting you will come out empty handed. My money would be on the deer every time.
  • Like 1