NJ Bear

Mr VJP

Stokes State Forest in NW NJ at 9:30AM on Saturday 12/11/10.  This Bear  had an estimated live weight of 300 pounds.  It dressed out at 260.  It  was taken with one shot to the heart at 75 yards from a Savage Bolt  Action 12 gauge 210F slug gun with a fully rifled barrel and a Nikon  2x7 scope.  The ammo was a  Lightfield Hybrid Sabot Slug.

The bear took one jump and died 10 yards from where it was shot.  It will become nice rug for my home in the Catskills.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'm having it made into a rug with the mouth open.  I'm also having the skull cleaned in a bug box.

It's costing me at least $1000 for the work and the meat, but it's worth it since I don't get the chance to hunt bear very often.

Congrats VJP...very nice bear. the one my fater got last year was the same size. it makes a beautiful rug. and unlike all of our other mounts....you can get your money back out of a bear rug. If you plan on wall displaying it let me know I have an article I can send you with directions on how to do it so you don't have to depend on the little loops they give you and the rug lays very flat with no sags.

agin...very nice job

Thanks.  This one will go on my bed I think. 

It was an easy drag though.  It was shot 200 yards uphill from that road on a rocky ridge.  My buddy and I dragged it down to the road and then brought the truck to it.  We even backed the truck into the ditch alongside the road so the tailgate dropped even with the ground and slid her into the bed with ease.

;D

I'm going up to the Catskill place this weekend.  Maybe I can bag another one in NY with a Muzzle Loader.

;D

I don't think my wallet could bear it!

:O

P.S.  I took off the blaze orange cap and vest prior to the pictures because it was warm.

:-\

$125 a foot from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail + $100 for an open mouth.  I think the bear is 5 feet from nose to tail.  That's $725 for the rug.  I went $100 for the skull in the bug box and I think the skinning and butchering will be $125.  So that's $950 total.

I prefer not to total it and think about it too much.

???

Congrats Vince!!

The guy in Roscoe, Decker's I believe, charged my uncle $250 to buthcer his bear three years ago.  You're getting a bargain.  ;D

That rug is going to like nice along with the skull.  My uncle did a shoulder mount but didn't want the skull.  I had the skull sent to a Dermestid beetle box and cleaned up to keep as a momento of the first bear taken on my place.

If anyone is interested, the work is being handled by Spring Valley Sportsman -  485 Spring Valley Road - outside of Delhi.  (607) 746-7500  Ask for Patty and tell her Vince, the Bear Guy, referred you.

:O

P.S.  They specialize in archery equipment and have a great indoor 3D range to shoot on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had some this weekend.  Browned it in vegetable oil then added onions and browned it all till crisp.  Mixed some mushroom soup, dry sherry, garlic salt and a 4 oz can of cut up mushrooms.  Added all that to the meat, stirred and simmered for 1 hour.

While that was cooking, made a pot of rice to put it on top of.

It was great!  Had enough for leftovers the next day.  They were even better!

To me it tastes like pork with a venison like gamey flavor.

8)

I think a lot of the taste complaints I have heard are based on where the bear is taken. They are a case of "you are what you eat". It is actually my daughters favorite meat but every bear I have served her has come from natural settings....mature forests with LOTS of corn around. I hae tasted bear that came from areas where the bear has been in dumps.....those I did not care for the taste of.  I really think diet makes a difference.

I have always had great luck cooking bear raised....to allow the fat to get away from the meat and ....just like venison....medium rare to medium at the most.

Culvercreek, it is always advisable to cook bear meat well.  Bear meat is known to carry trichinosis and other parasites that will not die in the meat if not cooked to an internal temperature of 375 degrees.  In this respect, it is also a lot like pork.

Culvercreek, it is always advisable to cook bear meat well.  Bear meat is known to carry trichinosis and other parasites that will not die in the meat if not cooked to an internal temperature of 375 degrees.  In this respect, it is also a lot like pork.

LOL....I don't want you cooking for me!. I think you meant internal temp of 160 for pork. cooking temp may be 375 but internal for pork is rcommended at 160. And to be honest with modern commercial methods they have backed off that temp for pork that is not ground...(just like burger). a pork loin or roast can be cooked to a lower temp similiar to beef. If you get your pork from the farmer down the road I would stay with the 160.

I know agree with what you posted but I will probably still take my chances with the medium @ 145-150 for a finished temp. Hat eto over cook such a precious commodity

• 2 weeks later...

2010 NJ Black Bear Harvest by Bear Hunting Area

Bear Hunting Area

Bears Harvested

12/6

12/7

12/8

12/9

12/10

12/11

Totals

Area 1