How are the coyote hunts....

The problem I have where my property is located is that the town also has a half acre along the road which is their dumping spot for road kill .... no shortage of coyote's in the area ! At last count when I checked the property one month ago was 4 dead deer - three Does and one Buck at their drop off / dumping location !

i'm sure the cold and stuff makes some efforts harder.  I know of a few groups that run dogs for them in Rensselaer county.  With the snow the dogs seem to bay them up quicker i'm told.  coyotes probably standing ground versus out running them through the snow?  each of the groups seem to be doing as well or better than previous seasons.  I think they're each around 30 a piece right now.  just this past weekend one group got 5 or 6.

I have been thinking same as it's few hundred yards behind my house....does it work good? Do they tend to come in right down the tracks?

Coyotes rely on their nose as there most important sense. They're unpredictable and the eastern coyote tends to be very skittish and wary too. A lot of game use snowmobile trails as there travel corridors when the snow is deep. I have a Foxpro FX5 so I would set up with the caller upwind of where I'm gonna actually sit about 50-100 yds. depending on how thick the cover is.

• Like 1

Coyotes rely on their nose as there most important sense. They're unpredictable and the eastern coyote tends to be very skittish and wary too. A lot of game use snowmobile trails as there travel corridors when the snow is deep. I have a Foxpro FX5 so I would set up with the caller upwind of where I'm gonna actually sit about 50-100 yds. depending on how thick the cover is.

Do you actually prefer the sound of a fox pro over mouth calls? I've never used one but know with the price tag on them they better sound fantastic....i realize the bennifit of placing the call away from you to help keep eyes off your position

Do you actually prefer the sound of a fox pro over mouth calls? I've never used one but know with the price tag on them they better sound fantastic....i realize the bennifit of placing the call away from you to help keep eyes off your position

Yes I do to a point. I like to start with mouth calls on some sets thou just to shake it up. I let the Foxpro take over as the predator has pinpoint accuracy in knowing the location of the sound.