Am I wrong?

RangerClay

I'm not a waterfowl hunter.  I know only a little about this stuff.  I understand it's a Federal stamp, the cost is minimal, and where it goes is a good thing.  ...the points of just buying it are pretty clear and driven rather hard at this point.  the OP is a teacher that's given back plenty.  if he wasn't inclined by ANOTHER stamp then I'm sure there are others out there that did the same. so I ask the questions because I'm curious....

does anyone know the rules of what determines if you need to buy a stamp?  I only thought you had to if you're hunting.  if he's just along for the ride, is he still required under Fed rules or is the state just saying pony up money for this just because?

...if it's Federal rules his letter being unanswered would be understandable.  if it's state dictating so then I'd think he deserves a reason.

Edited by dbHunterNY

I'm not a waterfowl hunter.  I know only a little about this stuff.  I understand it's a Federal stamp, the cost is minimal, and where it goes is a good thing.  ...the points of just buying it are pretty clear and driven rather hard at this point.  the OP is a teacher that's given back plenty.  if he wasn't inclined by ANOTHER stamp then I'm sure there are others out there that did the same. so I ask the questions because I'm curious....

does anyone know the rules of what determines if you need to buy a stamp?  I only thought you had to if you're hunting.  if he's just along for the ride, is he still required under Fed rules or is the state just saying pony up money for this just because?

...if it's Federal rules his letter being unanswered would be understandable.  if it's state dictating so then I'd think he deserves a reason.

Do waterfowl hunting guides have to be in possession of a stamp or hunting license when guiding clients but not carrying a gun or shooting? I could be wrong, but believe the legal interpretation of "hunting" includes helping another person take game. To hunt waterfowl you must have a federal waterfowl stamp and be registered in HIP. Perhaps, if he is "mentoring" he is hunting, therefore he needs his license, stamp, and hip registration? 

That however, leads to the question if one hunter limits out, can he legally continue to call for his hunting partner or even handle his dog? Although  he is technically hunting, he is not exceeding the limit, and has all his endorsements (license , stamp, hip registration) so why not? 

Some federal lands require an entrance fee, or in lieu of paying the fee, a current signed duck stamp, if he happened to be hunting one of those lands, that would be another reason.   

Edited by mike rossi

The time spent with family and friends in the field and the memories created are worth the price of admission, Honestly if the kid wants to do it; just go and do it, How much does a playstation cost,or a trip for 2 too Applebees, Seems to me that you could hunt more than a few weekends for those prices. Pass down the heritage one child at a time and hunting will be a privilege that the children will enjoy and their children will enjoy. Get them involved teach them, They are the next generation to carry on the traditions that we all love, Doesnt matter how much it costs. JMHO

• Like 1

Gun.... $500.00

Ammo.... $30.00

Camo for 2.... $250.00

License... $50.00

Food.... $50.00

Transportation...$40.00

Seeing a kids face light up on their first hunt.

Priceless!

Given all the costs involved with taking ones kid on a youth waterfowl hunt... It baffles me how an extra $25 would be the deal breaker for the OP to not take his daughter hunting. I realize that sometimes we feel like we're following some kind of principle or trying to make a point, but letting a duck stamp stand in the way of introducing your kid to hunting sounds a bit foolish to me. If it was a $250 stamp.. maybe.

• Like 1

Another thing occurred to me, unlike other youth seasons, during the youth waterfowl seasons mentors are allowed to hunt if a regular waterfowl season overlaps. It is slightly complicated, but if you want to be a waterfowl hunter you need to pay attention to the regulations as well as the birds...

In the entire western (duck) zone, the youth season overlaps with the regular snow goose season. So during the western duck zone youth season, mentors would be allowed to hunt for snow geese.

In the Youth season for the northeast (duck) zone, there is an overlap with the early Canada goose season  The Canada goose zones do not correspond geographically with duck zones,except in the northeast duck/Canada zones  and Lake Champlain duck/Canada zones. However, the Lake Chaplain zone, does not overlap date wise, so there a mentor could not hunt Canada geese. 

There may be other zones that overlap both geographically and date wise which the mentor can legally hunt Canada geese. There are 5 Canada goose zones and 5 duck zones, and as said only two of them completely overlap geographically, It would require lining up the boundaries for each respective zone to determine if any other areas overlap both geographically and date wise, and therefore allow the mentor to hunt Canadas.

I also reread the original post. The OP is from Jefferson County, a hot bed for both ducks and canada geese. He is located in the Northeast zone, and therefore would be able to hunt Canadas while his daughter participated in the youth waterfowl season. The OP lives in the center of the best duck AND goose sections in the state, perhaps the USA. 

Edited by mike rossi

Another thing occurred to me, unlike other youth seasons, during the youth waterfowl seasons mentors are allowed to hunt if a regular waterfowl season overlaps. It is slightly complicated, but if you want to be a waterfowl hunter you need to pay attention to the regulations as well as the birds...

In the entire western (duck) zone, the youth season overlaps with the regular snow goose season. So during the western duck zone youth season, mentors would be allowed to hunt for snow geese.

In the Youth season for the northeast (duck) zone, there is an overlap with the early Canada goose season  The Canada goose zones do not correspond geographically with duck zones,except in the northeast duck/Canada zones  and Lake Champlain duck/Canada zones. However, the Lake Chaplain zone, does not overlap date wise, so there a mentor could not hunt Canada geese. 

There may be other zones that overlap both geographically and date wise which the mentor can legally hunt Canada geese. There are 5 Canada goose zones and 5 duck zones, and as said only two of them completely overlap geographically, It would require lining up the boundaries for each respective zone to determine if any other areas overlap both geographically and date wise, and therefore allow the mentor to hunt Canadas.

I also reread the original post. The OP is from Jefferson County, a hot bed for both ducks and canada geese. He is located in the Northeast zone, and therefore would be able to hunt Canadas while his daughter participated in the youth waterfowl season. The OP lives in the center of the best duck AND goose sections in the state, perhaps the USA. 

Very true but they dont hang around long. When the Orange footed Mallards come down the line they hit my farm by the thousands. I mean when your sitting in a treestand deer hunting and a flock comes in to land in a bean field they actually black out a House,Barn,Silo combo when they swing the field and turn. Hard to believe their numbers until you see it. Both geese are here by the gaggles at about any time. I have a flock of 100 or so in a corn field right now sitting on a couple feet of snow. But i does kinda suck when hunting them with only a couple of guys because you punch out so fast. Almost not worth setting up the decoys.

Very true but they dont hang around long. When the Orange footed Mallards come down the line they hit my farm by the thousands. I mean when your sitting in a treestand deer hunting and a flock comes in to land in a bean field they actually black out a House,Barn,Silo combo when they swing the field and turn. Hard to believe their numbers until you see it. Both geese are here by the gaggles at about any time. I have a flock of 100 or so in a corn field right now sitting on a couple feet of snow. But i does kinda suck when hunting them with only a couple of guys because you punch out so fast. Almost not worth setting up the decoys.

Waterfowl are not easy game, that is why we do it, plus they taste excellent.

But I think in this case, the topic started by the OP is confusing enough and it would serve the most people to stick to this topic, which has many people confused. I actually think the OP is a DEC police officer or a prankster, because this is not the first time he posted about a complex subject. I think his use of the handle "ranger" is influencing my suspicion as well. This is the heart of waterfowl country, and I just don't find this query 100% genuine... 

People will and do pay well over $250 to hunt in places like that. And, they hardly think it isn't worth setting up. Many who fill their freezers will not agree with anyone who says it is not worth the effort. NY actually has some pretty skilled waterfowl hunters over the entire state, who stack up the birds, but the majority of them are discreet about it. 

But I think in this case, the topic started by the OP is confusing enough and it would serve the most people to stick to this topic, which has many people confused. I actually think the OP is a DEC police officer or a prankster, because this is not the first time he posted about a complex subject. I think his use of the handle "ranger" is influencing my suspicion as well. This is the heart of waterfowl country, and I just don't find this query 100% genuine... 

People will and do pay well over $250 to hunt in places like that. And, they hardly think it isn't worth setting up. Many who fill their freezers will not agree with anyone who says it is not worth the effort. NY actually has some pretty skilled waterfowl hunters over the entire state, who stack up the birds, but the majority of them are discreet about it. 

if I told you he was a school teacher up north and RangerClay is his SASS nickname that he uses in those competitions, would that alleviate your suspicion?  he and his youth daughter, mentioned in the OP, do that when they're not out hunting.

if I told you he was a school teacher up north and RangerClay is his SASS nickname that he uses in those competitions, would that alleviate your suspicion?  he and his youth daughter, mentioned in the OP, do that when they're not out hunting.

Only if you can arrange for me to give a presentation about waterfowl hunting to his class,,, Looks like its needed...

..but I do think you're wrong for not sucking it up and taking her, the opportunities to take her out on the youth hunts when she is showing an interest will fly past a lot quicker than any changes to the law.

Thanks for everyone's input, I have enjoyed reading your comments.  For the record, I did take her duck hunting but not on the youth weekend.  We went in October and we BOTH could buy duck stamps since I was then able to hunt with her.  Here is a photo from that day.  It was her first kill ever and you have no idea how happy she was.

Abi%20and%20duck_zps7hoy64im.jpg

My point for this entire conversation is simple.  If you are going to make a parent come along on the youth hunt empty handed then they should not have to buy a stamp. 

Edited by RangerClay

LOL!  No I'm not the fuzz.  Dan had it right, I'm a school teacher and yes my query is 100% genuine.  I'm sorry I have not checked in sooner but after working with computers all day at school I really don't feel like getting on my home computer when I get home.  I used to check in with you guys on my free periods but this site got banned on our school firewall for violence.  Funny I can get on Archerytalk and several others but I think because you have the word "hunting" in you address the firewall pics it up.

Thanks Dan for sticking up for me.

Edited by RangerClay

Only if you can arrange for me to give a presentation about waterfowl hunting to his class,,, Looks like its needed...

I do plenty to spread the word about hunting but it's a fine line without upsetting parents.  The kids definitely know that I'm an outdoorsman.  If I remember I'll post some pictures from my classroom or if you want PM me you cell phone and I will text them to you.

The HIP registration is free

The Federal duck stamp money goes to improving habitat in the National Wildlife Refuge system and making more ducks for your daughter and other people's daughters and sons to hunt it is not a "fee" that you dont get a return on your investment...the return is more ducks for everbody

On this one yes....you might be wrong...