Early Bird Contest to the Youth Hunt Contest - Deadline to Enter is April 15

letinmfly

The judges and myself have come up with an idea to get the youngsters motivated and thinking about the spring youth hunt.  It's going to be an informative contest and give us a pulse of what today's youth hunters feelings are about the sport.

There are only a few rules to the contest and here they are...

1. All youth hunters that will be participating in the spring youth season need to submit a story as to what he/she likes most about turkey hunting.  That's it plain and simple.

2. Deadline to enter will be 12:00am on April 15 and the winner will be announced on April 21.

3. Voting for the winner will be done by the HNY members, and not by the Youth Hunt Contest judges, between April 16-20.  So members please take an active part in the voting.

4. The winner will receive a nice prize.  Not yet determined but leaning towards a gift certificate to a sporting goods store.

If any members have a youth they'll be taking on the spring youth hunt please get them involved in this fun contest. 

THIS CONTEST IS NOT BEING RUN BY HNY

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any interest at all in this contest?  If not I'll pull it and add the prizes to the youth hunt contest. 

I would have thought that the same guys that preach about youngsters getting into hunting would show more enthusiasm and inspire the young folks. 

• Like 1

Spring turkey hunting

The most fun part for me is shooting the turkey, which is probably all your favorite thing I haven't shot anything yet cause it is my first year hunting

The first time I went turkey hunting I was 10 my brother had me video while he hunted, a few Jakes came in to about 20 yards but we wanted the gobbler we heard. We ended up not being able to call it in

This is my first year hunting with a gun I think I have a good chance even if I am inexperienced, next year I'm going to try with a bow

I love hunting and have always wanted to hunt and now that I'm old enough I can't wait even if I have to get up at 4:00 I've gone deer duck and turkey hunting with my brother so its not hard to get up at 4 and have a cup of coffee and go

I have done a lot of pigeon and squirrel hunting with a 22 around the farm and have shot quite a few animals

My dad sometimes would have me shoot the birds that came to eat the planted seed in the spring

By Jeremiah Martin

Here it is ????

• Like 5

So we just comment in this thread to sign them up?

This is a totally different contest.  It's just a fun contest for the kids and a chance for them to win something.  Go by the rules in the first post and that's it.  The actual hunt contest is separate from this one. 

Spring turkey hunting

The most fun part for me is shooting the turkey, which is probably all your favorite thing I haven't shot anything yet cause it is my first year hunting

The first time I went turkey hunting I was 10 my brother had me video while he hunted, a few Jakes came in to about 20 yards but we wanted the gobbler we heard. We ended up not being able to call it in

This is my first year hunting with a gun I think I have a good chance even if I am inexperienced, next year I'm going to try with a bow

I love hunting and have always wanted to hunt and now that I'm old enough I can't wait even if I have to get up at 4:00 I've gone deer duck and turkey hunting with my brother so its not hard to get up at 4 and have a cup of coffee and go

I have done a lot of pigeon and squirrel hunting with a 22 around the farm and have shot quite a few animals

My dad sometimes would have me shoot the birds that came to eat the planted seed in the spring

By Jeremiah Martin

Here it is ????

Jeremiah have Joe send me your address please. I'm going to send you a prize for being the first to submit a story. Thanks and good luck this season!!
  • Like 3

You got a good mentor in your brother Joe, Jeremiah!

Good luck to you both this season and thanks for sharing your story with us!

Hope to see some great field photos from you guys in a couple weeks!

Congrats!

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

My favorite thing about turkey is getting in to the woods early setting up waiting for that bird to come in and how your heart starts to pound when you think you hear a gobble in the distance but your not quiet sure what it is and then how time slows down when you pick your gun up and put your tag on a gobblers foot for the first time

By Reed Mellen and I hunt with MACHINIST

• Like 4

To say that I'm disappointed in the lack of participation is an understatement!!  A lot of members preach about getting youngsters involved in hunting but it seems to me that it's more about killing and not hunting. 

This was supposed to be a fun contest where all the youths had to do was write about what they like most about turkey hunting.  Nothing more!! 

Thanks to the two that did enter this contest.  You are both winners as well as are your mentors!!  You will both receive a prize as you are both winners!!

Please PM your addresses and I will get your prizes out to you!  Congrats!!

• Like 2