Choosing the right caliber

Borngeechee

Lol I'm a researchaholic. The more I search the more I wanna know.

Part of the equation is bullet construction and choice. We are fortunate to live at a time where those choices are many, but it can skew the notion that caliber/chambering of a certain power/diameter is required.

Most folks buy bullets cause they are cheap, or they look really cool in the box.

• Like 1

I need to vent here.

I really take issue with improper nomenclature being used when it comes to rifles and what cartridges they're chambered for.

What that chart is showing are "Cartridges" not calibers.  Caliber is simply a measure of a bullet's width or the diameter of a rifle's bore.  There are plenty of large caliber rounds that are not very powerful.  Take the .44 Special and .44-40 as examples.

There are also small caliber cartridges that are very powerful, like the .220 Swift or the .240 Wby Mag.

When discussing what to use for hunting specific game animals, the discussion should be about the cartridges that will work well, not specifically the caliber, or bore diameter of the rifle or round being used.

This is an issue about proper terminology that I feel is being corrupted more and more as time goes on.  It tends to confuse the discussion and the importance of it's subject matter.

Just my opinion.