Trail camera help

Acga1

Set up 2 cameras last weekend for the upcoming turkey season, and retrieved them today...some questions as this was my first go at it...are they that sensitive? Got 30 pictures in a row with nothing in view..it was very windy that particular day...I'm guessing branch movement, leaves, etc triggerd it...also, some images recorded 4/4 and 4/5...then nothing till yesterday..4/11...I know there in a good spot...deer trail is clear...guessing no activity? Thanks for any advise on these things...

Sometimes you have to look closely at the edges of the image. You might see a nose or a tail of some critter. Birds and squirrels are notorious for tripping the camera, but being fast enough to get out of the frame before the camera actually fires.

And yes, a piece of goldenrod can bring up the picture count on a windy day.

Also, understand that the critters don't operate on a clock. Days can go by without any movement in the camera area, and then all of a sudden it will look like a herd walked through. That's all just the variability of deer movement. On those days when you get no images, check the trails to see if there are any fresh tracks. Also it is not a bad idea to purposely walk into the image area to be sure that everything is working ok. see to it that you do indeed trip the camera, and that an image has successfully been taken.

What make and model of camera?

When it comes to windy days, having false triggers is completely acceptable. Not only are the weeds, branches, leaves, etc. blowing around, but in most cases the cam is moving an appreciable amount. The trees the cams are attached to are not impervious to the wind. Ever see how much a big tree moves in the wind? So really, what you have is a cam that is moving and everything around it is moving. So, pictures for a few hours or over a couple days while really windy isn't a big deal. The bigger issue would be false triggers on calm days.

Look for tracks in the ground that are fresh to see if game walked by while your cam was inactive. I do not often go multiple days without game being captured of some sort, whether it be squirrels, deer, etc. Don't think to look for just deer - a lot of game can trigger a camera. Very hard to not get pics unless it is a field edge with no protection and a lot of prying eyes (human activity). Did it take a pic of you walking up?

Edited by phade

Agreed with what was said above.  It also makes a BIG difference on the camera.  My brother-in-law has one that I believe is made by Multrie (but is the Cabela's brand) and it only like taking pictures about half the time.

I have 4 bushnells and they pick up everything.  They are so sensative that I rarely if ever get a "butt" or a blank picture.  it also means I get a ton of pictures of nothing just due to them being sensative.  But, I would rather have 1,000 pictures on the camera and 2/3rds of them being from wind, weeds, sun, squirrels, etc, then missing 1/2 of the animals that walk buy with a less sensative camera or setting.

Also, a big thing that I learned from some fellow outdoorsman, is put the camera up much higher than you think is neccessary and make sure it is at somewhat of an angle down.

I typically hang my cameras 6 or 7 feet up and have them slightly angled down.  They pick up EVERYTHING within range and tend not to deal so much with sun issues or far off weeks moving, etc.

Lastly, make sure that the trigger lens is clean!  For whatever reason, it seems to be a magnet for spiders and other cocoon dwelling creatures.  If I leave my cameras up too long, they all end up having something nesting in that little lens hole.  It drives me nuts!