Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

If you can get away with it, and you haven't packed it in yet, do a big semi circle, switch calls and give a few yelps in a different pattern then you have been using. Then just wait a half hour or so. Maybe give an occasional cluck.

That's what I was trying to do when he busted me.. Wouldn't a mattered anyhow cause the dog along with the owner followed suite n cam bustin into the feild .. Had a little chat n best I got was "sorry dude" a shoulder shrug n walked off ... Good news is the birds were still there first thing after similar events yesterday so gonna try again tmorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was trying to do when he busted me.. Wouldn't a mattered anyhow cause the dog along with the owner followed suite n cam bustin into the feild .. Had a little chat n best I got was "sorry dude" a shoulder shrug n walked off ... Good news is the birds were still there first thing after similar events yesterday so gonna try again tmorrow

Are you on public or private land? 

Are you on public or private land?

Public , and yes I know they have a right to be there just as much as I do so save me the spiel please... Just aggravating when you try n work with people n they could care less...

Public , and yes I know they have a right to be there just as much as I do so save me the spiel please... Just aggravating when you try n work with people n they could care less...

I actually curios if you were hunting public or private. Not sure why you thought I was going to give you the spiel. Unfortunately these are the things that happen on public land. One thing that is going for you, is that the deer and turkey are used to that. 

I actually curios if you were hunting public or private. Not sure why you thought I was going to give you the spiel. Unfortunately these are the things that happen on public land. One thing that is going for you, is that the deer and turkey are used to that.

Sorry bro, guess I expect those things from some on this cite... But ya they are somewhat used to it cause all year round there's a main trail or grass road if you will that runs through the place that people walk ... Just second morning in a row with the same dog and owner ...

Sorry bro, guess I expect those things from some on this cite... But ya they are somewhat used to it cause all year round there's a main trail or grass road if you will that runs through the place that people walk ... Just second morning in a row with the same dog and owner ...

No worries! Hopefully he'll be there tomorrow and you'll get to him before the dog gets there. Did he see the note?

Tomorrow  is another day. Head back out and have at it. I'll be out at first light trying to make some noise. Been trying to figure out the same few toms since May 1st. Thats what makes it fun…..The old timer I use to hunt with, never called them Toms. He called them "Pricks"..LOL!… 

Good luck

• Like 3

Colder than I expected this morning in Sterling Forest despite the late start. Wore my insulated jacket and had to add thermal hat while sitting listening to the creaking trees, crows, and a few other birds.

Last four times out in that parcel there was a gobbler that just would not come in or show himself. Set up closer to where he seemed to be last time, but heard nothing from him. Maybe too windy or perhaps he has moved on.

I didn't hunt...back was sore from the tractor work yesterday....but this late morning I went out and raked a trail to a big maple with a nice seat depression at its base in it's roots...I cleaned up the brush around it and made a blind with it...so now all I need to do is walk my old trail to the ridge and turn right ...it's half way across the property and clean of all leaf litter,twigs and rocks ...nice and quiet....This is the area I see the birds crest the ridge after fly down.... the roost trees are just 100 or so feet farther along ridge ...fly down should happen across and just below me...Great place for deer as well...I can see down to where the streams start and it flattens a bit...... at some giant red oaks, ton of beech ,witch hazel and wild blk cherry trees...

Edited by growalot

Tomorrow  is another day. Head back out and have at it. I'll be out at first light trying to make some noise. Been trying to figure out the same few toms since May 1st. Thats what makes it fun…..The old timer I use to hunt with, never called them Toms. He called them "Pricks"..LOL!… 

Good luck

Not to carry on (sorry) but I remember the last tom the old man took. It was 2 years before  he passed. He was getting on and we were all nervous about him going out alone. His wife called me at about 8 AM to ask if I was coming out to hunt. I knew she was nervous because the old man went out alone. To make her feel better I said I was running late and I would be right out. Before I could get my stuff together and head out, the old man called me. I asked how he made out and I remember him saying.."shot that prick right in the face". It was a big ass tom, and the last game he ever took…. LOL!!

• Like 2

Not to carry on (sorry) but I remember the last tom the old man took. It was 2 years before he passed. He was getting on and we were all nervous about him going out alone. His wife called me at about 8 AM to ask if I was coming out to hunt. I knew she was nervous because the old man went out alone. To make her feel better I said I was running late and I would be right out. Before I could get my stuff together and head out, the old man called me. I asked how he made out and I remember him saying.."shot that prick right in the face". It was a big ass tom, and the last game he ever took…. LOL!!

I agree , little pricks through and through ... Lol.... Was just messaging my girl this morning and said I'm chasin those stupid turkeys again even though I live it haha ... Always been that way

Colder than I expected this morning in Sterling Forest despite the late start. Wore my insulated jacket and had to add thermal hat while sitting listening to the creaking trees, crows, and a few other birds.

Last four times out in that parcel there was a gobbler that just would not come in or show himself. Set up closer to where he seemed to be last time, but heard nothing from him. Maybe too windy or perhaps he has moved on.

Was really chilly with the wind in sterling. Phone said felt like 35. You weren't the guy I spoke to at one of the parking lots were you?

Update or are you too busy carrying the bird out of the woods ?

Still waitin on em , hammered like crazy on the roost , went quiet after that , never saw him but heard one hen yelp back by him , so I'm waiting for her to ditch him hopefully ... Last day till next weekend so gonna sit it out n see what this last hour I've been hearing about the past couple days is all about ...

• Like 1

My wife and I went out this morning after a longbeard that I spotted last night. I had an idea where he would roost. We got set up and at 5:00 he started gobbling. With the foliage we were able to get within 50-60 yds. of him. I gave him some soft calling and he gobbled off an on til he flew down at 5:50. He hit so close we could hear him "thump" when he landed. I though we had him...instead of running in to get his face blasted he went away from us on to the neighboring property that was more open and made a stand just gobbling away and waiting for us to come to him.  Headed back out in a few minutes to another location...

• Like 1

Alright Ants..... That " pricks" gettin it in the face for pullin a hoodini on my tday... Gonna pull some covert special ops s?;) on his ass in the morning ... No deak , sneak as close as I can get , 3 soft yelps like his bi?$ I heard this morning n bust em when he fly's down .... Sounds good in theory , I'm pissed now, not a good thing for him !!! Lol

Well, we got in to the big boss gobbler we were going after right away around 10:45 and messed with him for about an hour.  He was in a small 10 acre island woodlot surrounded by fields...he was fired up between the crows and my calling...ended up moving and setting up on him several times but couldn't pull him across the planted cornfield to us.  We will be after him again bright and early tomorrow when he's roosted in the same woods as we are. Overall, a very productive day, especially for this late in the season!!!

Alright Ants..... That " pricks" gettin it in the face for pullin a hoodini on my tday... Gonna pull some covert special ops s? ;) on his ass in the morning ... No deak , sneak as close as I can get , 3 soft yelps like his bi?$ I heard this morning n bust em when he fly's down .... Sounds good in theory , I'm pissed now, not a good thing for him !!! Lol

Im dong the same thing. The prick Im after has been roosting in a wooded peninsula that juts  out into a cut corn field, from the woods. I have been setting up along a hedgerow opposite of him. about 80-100 yards off. He has gotten close but not close enough. This morning he was alone for once (i think) He stood off and wanted me to go to him..As if!!.. Going to leave a little earlier and come in from the back side of the peninsula. Gonna set up near the very tip, closer to his fly down. Might have to skip the decoy ..don't want to get busted setting it up,,,,,,, not sure yet. Hopefully he'll be beakless shortly after he touches down.

Good luck,,

• Like 1

Nice day to be sitting in the woods with my daughter. Gobbles mile away on other mountain. Nothing close yet. Grinners took a beating on the road last night. Saw very new born fawn and mama. Daughter loved it. Wobbly legged little thing. Enjoy the woods this morning folks