Heavy birds...

WNY Bowhunter

After the winter that we had it is very surprising that the birds are weighing in so high this spring. We have killed 4 longbeards in the family so far (all two year olds)and currently the lightest is mine at 19.5.  The other three went 22, 22.75 and a 23.5 pounder that my cousin shot today.  This bird breaks the record for the heaviest in the family. The old record was 23# that my dad killed 20 years ago and that is out of approx. 150 adult toms over the years...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 4

That's pretty cool WNYBH.  After such a harsh winter you sure wouldn't expect it

My very first spring gobbler was 23 lbs and a couple ounces, weighed on a scale of a super markets deli!

I don't recall if it was in Greenwood or Canisteo but it sure was the hit of the morning!  The year should have been 1982.........

As far as I know I haven't killed one heavier...........

As the mating season winds down, the gobblers shed weight like a buck does during the rut. Can't tell how many good 2 year olds tipped the scales at 17-18 lbs. over the years. Usually, early in the season is when you get the true heavy weights.

• Like 1