New to fishing

dirt_a_KISS

This season I want to get more serious about fishing for the upcoming months. I have very little knowledge of the sport and would like to know more. And what I mean is this, whatv pole should I use, line, lures and etc? All comments will be helpful for me to know what I'm getting myself into, so thank you!

This season I want to get more serious about fishing for the upcoming months. I have very little knowledge of the sport and would like to know more. And what I mean is this, whatv pole should I use, line, lures and etc? All comments will be helpful for me to know what I'm getting myself into, so thank you!

Need a few more details. Fish species you may go after, in a boat, from the shore, etc.?

I have spent a lot of time fishing, no clue if it is done the way It is supposed to be done , but I catch fish and have fun  :)

• Like 2

IMO don't go crazy on the expensive rods...i buy mid level walmart rods and have had good luck. Just put new line on them...as far as lures and bait I prefer live bait for most part minnows worms crayfish all depends on what your looking to catch...lures spinners (rooster tails) top water and divers are the basics all work for each own situation.

• Like 1

A 6 foot medium action spinning rod is a good all around rod. Get a decent quality reel (the guy in the fishing Dept. SHOULD be able to help you choose one)  spool it with 8lb. line.  Lures all depend on what you're going for, but different sized Rapalas and spinners are a good bet. Other than that,,  worms, minnows and good old bobbers.

• Like 3

Yes, a 6- 6.5' medium action pole with 8-10# test has served me we well for just about everything..Personally I have always preferred the longer rod to facilitate a longer cast.  Maybe an ultra light pole for going after crappie,panfish,and trout.

Now a days I do most of my fishing out of a boat on small lakes and rivers. if I could only have 3 lures it would be a 5" salt impregnated senco type worm, white spinner bait, and a 3" black curly tailed jig.

If I could only have one it probably would be the white spinner bait. Or a hook and use live bait for the foolproof method.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

I am absolutely the wrong guy to ask this question lol.  Just picture the golfer with 4 sets of golf clubs and every golf bag couldnt fit one more club in them. I am that guy with fishing poles.  For every golf shot there is a club, well im an advocate that same rule goes for fishing.  There is a rod and reel for every different species, style of fishing, body of water etc.  But then again Im not a leisure type fisherman, I take this stuff serious lol.  I am also a hard believer in top quality fishing equipment.  I want to buy it once and be done with it for the rest of my life.  Top of the line equipment comes with top of the line warranties.  Slam a rod in a car door, no problem it gets replaced or repaired under warranty, that alone will save you money over the years and give you confidence in your equipment which will in return give you the confidence to catch fish.  I also am anal about multiples of each selection I have, especially when it comes to rods and reels for the boat,  I dont want to troll with 6 different rod and reel combos, your presentation will be all over the place and make you scratch your head why one setup with the same line and lure is out producing the other rod next to it.  Wife says I have lost my mind, but I dont have 100 pairs of shoes and a dedicated drawer in the vanity with every makeup thing on the shelf at the department store either.   Now if I had one Rod and one Rod only it would be 7'6" Fenwick medium action with fast or medium fast action tip with a pflueger 10 bearing 6.2 to 1 Supreme filled with 8 lb flourocarbon on one spool and the spare that comes with it 4lb floruocarbon. With the extra spool that comes with it you can manage the larger walleye on erie and still go after some panfish and even manage the line shy walleye with the nice smooth drag system if need be.  Probably 150 for the rod and 100 for the reel.  I am also anal about replacing line on a regular basis and that hurts my wallet more than the initial purchase of the equipment.  Dont ask about tackle or terminal tackle I will wear my keyboard out.  :rolleyes:   Happy fishing!

• Like 1

O....and if fishing in carp water and setting pole down make sure drag is loose....will lose one in a hurry...trust me lol????

Ha-ha ..... I almost lost a pole and my entire tackle box in the canal years ago. I was fishing with my Grandpa and I had my pole propped up on the tackle box. We spent the night fishing there with worms, and I guess I fell asleep. I woke up when I herd my tackle box being dragged toward the water. The pole was being dragged in, and the reel hooked onto the tackle box and started dragging that toward the water too. I dove for the pole. felt three or four very heavy tugs before the line snapped. 

So your advice is spot-on with my experience.

• Like 1