wellesley island

Fehyd643

I'm headed up to Wellesley Island state park this weekend with the boys and the bass boat.  I've never been there, but am trying to plan ahead a bit.

So looking at Google Earth, I'm thinking of heading out of the marina, heading around the NW part of the island and into Eel Bay.  Gotta avoid the border!  Eel bay looks protected enough for a bass boat with plenty of ledges/structures to hold fish.

This is all speculation based entirely on a map.  Any hands on experience would be great.  I'm not really targeting anything specific.  I just want to get the kids some decent fish. Perch, bass (large/small) whatever.  We also have a site on the water, so dropping a few lines from the shore at night for bullhead is also in the cards.

Thoughts and tips?  Thanks in advance!

Joshua

When my kids were small , we camped a few times at Wellesley Island and enjoyed it . I havn't been there in over 30 years so I don't know how much it has changed . My daughters like fishing off the dock and the boys liked fishing from a row boat . We never caught anything big but the kids had fun so that made it enjoyable .

You will do fine fishing Eel Bay for Bass,Pike and Perch. Very shallow in the bay and the mighty Saint is low already this year. If you feel like a Walleye or two head out back towards the bridge and the current. There is another campground up the road from the state park, out front of there has always trolled us up some good sized northerns.  You will find enough fish im sure!

I appreciate all the info.  As far as night fishing... I was just planning on tossing out some worms while we hang by the campfire.  I know there is a chance at some bullhead, but dare I hope for any channel cats?

I appreciate all the info.  As far as night fishing... I was just planning on tossing out some worms while we hang by the campfire.  I know there is a chance at some bullhead, but dare I hope for any channel cats?

Yes, do some research to find quality stink bait and cast out a line. If you are casting and letting them sit (ie poles rigged up in a holder and just relaxing on the waterfront at night), buy some of the super small size glow sticks (usually ones made to go inside balloons) and attach them to the pole so you can see when a cat starts to take the bait. It's a fun way to keep the kids involved, and helps me as an adult, know when to put down a beverage to reach for the pole, lol.

(long story ahead by a bad storyteller. Cliffnotes: caught a fish, see pic)

So I get to the park around 8pm Thursday evening. Friends are already there with things set up.  We had a camper site and a tent site on the water's edge.

Since it's late, we throw on some burgers and dogs, break out the Twisted Tea, and build a roaring fire at the tent site.  First night, gotta put a line in the water!  Problem is, no bait.  No cut bait, no worms. I think about using a hot dog chunk for a second, then decide a different tactic.  I grab a bit of venison jerky and toss out the hook.

The pole is in a spiral rod holder, buried to the hilt, tucked behind a huge rock.  I attach a glow stick to the tip of the rod and head back 10 yds to the campfire to begin the campfire libations. Over an hour goes by and not a twitch on the rod.  To be honest, at this point I'm not really paying attention.  I'm not really fishing, I just cant be next to the water without a pole out.

Suddenly, the glowstick goes flying!  I stumble to the shore, and no rod!  I search the water with my headlamp and see my rod about 3 feet out, slowly moving away!  I jump in, grab the sucker and set the hook.  The pole about rips from my hand as the critter on the other end lets me know he did NOT particularly care for that action.  I'm only running 10lb test, so no muscling this thing in.  Time for a fight!  I adjust my drag and go 10 minutes of back and forth.  I almost get spooled twice, but I finally bring it in!

This Channel Cat came in at 12lbs, 31". Measured, weighed and photographed the next morning.  All I had was an old spring-style scale, so the weight may be off a bit.  

post-3768-0-43854400-1433873292_thumb.jp

Bad news: left it on the stringer for the day to filet up for the night.  Sometime during the day, someone came along and cut him off. No idea why. very very pissed, but what can you do. 8' heavy duty stringer, cut clean about halfway.  I still consider it a success though. Only cat for the weekend, but hey, it was a nice one!