For Fans Of The 16 Gauge

Thanks...I currently own only one 16 gauge gun, a Winchester M12, but I have owned several over the years...My first 2 shotguns were in 16 gauge, an Eastern Arms Co. single barrel and a Rem 11-48...

With the 16 gauge, I killed my first grouse, my first pheasant, my first woodcock, my first wild duck (drake woodie) and my first fox..

My first rabbit, squirrel and crow were shot with a .22, but my first SHOTGUN taken game of these species were also shot with a 16 gauge..

I agree it is an ideal upland game gun, and was also a great duck gun back when you could use lead shot...

You only need one load for it...One ounce of #6 shot.....

• Like 1

A guy I know still hunts deer with the same Ithaca 16ga. that his father used and gave to him when we were teenagers. I have shot it a few times. It has a peep sight and is crazy accurate out to 75-80 yards or so. 

I have been trying to buy to off him, since we are in high school but he will never sell it.

We have 3-4 16 gauges in the extended family - SxS and a semi-auto.

Used for squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, duck, goose and deer. Although no duck or goose hunting for the past 20 years in the family.

#6's and rifled slugs for the most part.  I do have some other shot sizes, but it mostly goes through #6's like Pygmy said.

I currently use one that my great uncle had - pre-WWII.  Slugs still pass through deer at 60 yards.

The 16 is my favorite gauge also.  I have killed all of my grouse with them. The first with my Ithaca 37 pump with a "modified" barrell, and the most with my Stevens side-by-side double with I/C and modified chokes (both inherited from my granddad).   My best grouse hunt was a two for two hunt with my Dad's Browning "sweet-16" auto.   That gun handles better than any shotgun I have tried.  I also used the 37 Ithaca (after mounting a scope on it) to take my first and later my largest racked buck.  More than 30 years since the first, I still like to hunt deer with that gun when shots are expected to be under 75 yards.  I killed a fine buck with it, from a 10 yard range, just 3 years ago.  That "deerslayer" barrel has never let me down.