Coyote Stare Down

bill.cooley2007

So I decided to go put up my first trail cam of the year today, I had a few extra minutes before my sons soccer practice. I was a little rushed so I didn't grab my pistol like I normally do before going in the woods. Get to a nice trail with lots of deer foot prints and set up my cam in a perfect spot. The land owner decided to plant corn this year, so I decided to walk the edge of the cornfield. As I'm walking I find where the deer have been bedding, then I look up and see a coyote staring at me no more than fifteen feet away. At first I'm a little startled, so I pick up a decent sized rock just in case. But I thought for sure he would run away. he just stared and started breathing hard like he was getting ready to make a move. I walked away slowly and made it back to my car. Just wondering, has anyone else been in a situation like this? Ive seen coyotes plenty of times, but they usually take off when they see me. Also, anyone have any trailcam pics of some nice bucks yet!?

I had a young one almost walk over me in the Dacks a few years back while I was deer hunting. At about twenty feet I figured it was getting too close so I whistled, it looked at me puzzled, turned 90 degrees and trotted off. Just an oblivious young coyote.

I am hearing that urban/suburban yotes are getting pretty brazen. There is an article in the NY Outdoors News about one taking a little dust mop dog out of a suburban yard. They do a public service in providing feral cat control.

One almost grabbed me as a kid. 

I was sitting in my driveway playing with rocks, about 8 years old, while family was grilling on porch. My dad screams my name from the porch and I turn around to see a coyote a few feet in back of me, was approaching me from behind. I thought it was my neighbors dog at first as they had an old mutt so I was not alarmed. My dad screamed again a few seconds later and the coyote turned around and bolted. 

Just a few days ago my dad had a stare down with one just as it was getting light. He was walking his dog (90lb German shepherd) and the coyote came out of the woods onto the road and wouldn't let them pass for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiki is my first shepherd and the smartest dog I have had.  But, she is aggressive towards other dogs in my neighborhood - to the point where I think most are scared to death of her - back hair up, growling, etc.  She is friendly with people, just hates other dogs.

Funny thing is that my last dog was 180 bullmastiff and I would much rather have her ticked at me than the little shepherd.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was on my way out after a morning bow hunt. I broke out of the woods into a plowed field. I looked to my left and there was a big ass coyote staring at me about 40 yards away. I thought it was funny that he didn't run. we did the stare down for close to a minute. Then I started to walk backwards while digging for my pistol.  He didn't budge for a while, but then he eventually turned and ran into the woods. Very strange..