Anyone hunt with a Browning Automatic Rifle

eagle rider

Anyone have a Browning BAR they are using?  I have a newer Longtrac 270 Win.  It shoots amazing, can only do 1.5" at 100 yds but it is a semi auto so its unfair to expect better.  No felt recoil at all, functions flawlessly, its a bit on the fancy side but so be it.  Its like a sewing machine, it does the same thing every time I pull the trigger.  

I never hunted with a BAR..

They had 6 of them in the armory of the ship that I served aboard but the pricks wouldn't let me take one home with me when I  disembarked...

They wouldn't let me take any of the Thompson SMGS or Win M12 riot guns either...

• Like 3

Actually, Browning used the military nomenclature of the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) on it's civilian semi-auto version.  I guess BSAR didn't have such a catchy sound.

;)

It's not really off topic, just expanding on the details.

Edited by Mr VJP

I never hunted with a BAR..

They had 6 of them in the armory of the ship that I served aboard but the pricks wouldn't let me take one home with me when I  disembarked...

They wouldn't let me take any of the Thompson SMGS or Win M12 riot guns either...

Reminds me of Steve Mcqueen in "The Sand Pebblers"

• Like 1

Reminds me of Steve Mcqueen in "The Sand Pebblers"

Actually, many beautiful women have compared me to " Steve McQueen sawed off at the knees"...

Of course, that was many years ago....In a galaxy far, far away....

Oh CRAP !! There we go off topic again... SORRY, Eagle...<<double BLUSH>>....

• Like 2

I have 2 in 30.06. A beautiful old one, blued, wood stock and engraved receiver that I picked up used about 20 years ago. The new one has the bolt lever, black plastic stock and a flatblack finish. It was on the rack at Gander Mountain with a small scratch on the barrel. Every few weeks I would point out the damage to one of the clerks and mention a deeply discounted price to take it off their hands. One day they took the bait and it was mine.   Strange they use different magazines. Both are very accurate, balance nicely when carrying, come up easily and solid to a spot weld to the cheek and shoulder. I have a 3x9 scope on the new one and I definitely use that one more than the other. 

• Like 1

Two inches is perfectly acceptable accuracy for  a hunting rifle.. .

One of my three main hunting rifles, a bolt action ( M70 Win), won't group MOA on it's best day..1.75 " to 2 " is more the norm..

However she's a killer...I taken everything from woodchucks to Alaskan bull moose with that rifle, and some of the shots have been 300 yards PLUS...

• Like 1

My AR (20" Wilson Bull BBL) shoots dime size 5 rd groups at 100 and half dollar size at 200.  Its' a horse of a totally different color.  For what the BAR set me back, approaching 2" at 100 just doesn't make me fell alright with it.  Honestly my old 7400 is doing .5" better than that.   

I have an old BAR........Maybe 40 years old I could never get it to group better than 2in. at a hundred yards from a bench no matter what i fed it..

I have one roughly the same age. It's sporting iron sights n was inherited.. I've never really given it the time since my goal is accuracy to the fullest extent in a rifle. I won't sell it n may eventually set it up for one of my kids to shoot close range but I'm guessing even scoped it'll be a very distant back up gun.

I have a 3006 from Belgium with Leopold scope.From my shooting rest and all locked and dialed in and only using the trigger I hit under 1" all 4 rounds at a time. I have taken most of my deer with it. Under the same conditions I will do 2" at 200 yards. Now when I shoot free hand I don't do as well and the deer never seem to wait around when I use my bench but it gets the job done. Sure my Remington 700 will almost go through the same hole time and time again but with a semi with no kick in a tree stand it can't be beat