Irish Spring bar soap as deer repellent

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Seems like it would work great in my 1/3 acre plot but I have always been concerned it will be mowed down way before the season starts.  Maybe if I use some the deterrents you mention I could hold them off until season.  How deep do you need to plant soybeans?  I thought a drill is required.

I broadcast them on top of the soil and roll/pack them in if possible. But this year i spread them across untilled soil and let the rain do the rest, on all 3 of my plots. The beans are over 2ft tall currently where protected.. 

Bury seeds no deeper than a 1/2" if you are covering the seed. If your tilling the soil, once you get a decent seed bed, id just broadcast over the soil then pack or roll the seed to the seedbed. Or just broadcast and let an approaching rain do the rest for you. Soybeans are very easy to grow..  

8 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yes sir G-man,

I did that this year to keep them lasting slightly longer. I found that crows will peck the heck out of the soap bars as well and they then break down faster. I added pie tins to the operation as well. 2 pie tins that can clang together with a slight breeze, as well as reflect light as the sun hits it. Between the 2 "deterrents" my beans were left untouched. I pulled the "deterrents" down around mid August last year when the beans were almost knee high, to pull them in for a great early bow spot. And that just what it was. A few days after removing the stuff, the deer were in there at all times of the day. I will leave them up a little longer this year unto early mid September, 

I did it again on the small early season plot with beans this year. It is working for the most part but i noticed a small wood chuck in the plot last time i was there.   Not good lol

Pic is as high as the deer let them get once i removed soaps and tins

IMG_0446.JPG

I have used the tin pie plates before along with an occasional wind chime. This spot, where I planted the potatoes is protected from the wind and the Irish Spring worked very well. I was given 25 lbs of dirty pea seed Going to try some pea planting in August. Last time I planted peas like this, the deer had a convention at my place and wiped them out in a few nights. The soap may just come in handy for a deterrent.

13 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I have used the tin pie plates before along with an occasional wind chime. This spot, where I planted the potatoes is protected from the wind and the Irish Spring worked very well. I was given 25 lbs of dirty pea seed Going to try some pea planting in August. Last time I planted peas like this, the deer had a convention at my place and wiped them out in a few nights. The soap may just come in handy for a deterrent.

I hear you there on the peas. I put in a huge annual blend last night with all the rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, may be a couple weeks early but i like what the forecast. 

My wife did her couponing thing 2 years ago, and i still have probably 100 (2) packs left to use. She was picking the soap up for like a nickel a bar. Its great lol. Smells so good too lol   I did see some bite marks last night on a few bars. Not sure if it was squirrel chipmunk or deer but.. kinda wierd. And found my wood chuck is really putting a hurting on my beans in the last few days.