Activist says there are no longer any real hunters or hunting ethics.

mike rossi

Anyway, I tend to agree with Hindi that it is the hunting community, including some organizations representing hunters, who has killed hunting. The various hunting industries also share responsibility as well. To be frank, state wildlife agencies have mismanaged whitetail deer in this country for 100 years and now that the tip of the iceberg is showing there is a mad scramble to make changes that are not going to be palatable. Being frank again, I don't really sympathize with the government biologists either... 

I'd really like to hear your take on why you think the hunting community has killed hunting, and why you think wildlife agencies have mismanaged deer?  That might be an interesting read for sure.

Mismanaged deer? The Whitetail is probably the biggest success story of wildlife conservation and management on the continent. In just over 100 years we have gone from around 500k deer on the continent to over 20 million.

Lets just say, nobody really wants to talk about it, and that includes me, however, the info is out there without much looking....

Briefly, the restored whitetail populations are now considered sub-optimal from a biodiversity perspective. Linked to that is a landscape effect, including encouraging invasive or nonnative plants. In the social context hunters have lost a connection with the land and government biologists have been unable to maintain their cooperation or trust whichever you prefer. However, it is the same government biologists that have encouraged the present hunting culture and/or didn't stand up to industry or other commercial interests regarding hunting. 

Look, its about August. I need to do other things with my spare time than reinvent the wheel again and again.... Point here was not to get super - specific and evolve this post into a narrow focus around whitetail management, but rather entertain the relationship between anti hunting and hunter behavior (including the representation of organizations) and how that influences public opinion and in turn, ultimately, hunting regulations.

In NY, public opinion may not be as influential regarding regulations as in states such as Maine and Michigan which referendum initiatives can and do ban hunting.... However, antis in NY or national anti hunting organizations have a different approach for each state, and they have had success here. 

That is regarding regulations. Regarding hunter recruitment is a totally different thing. So is political support for funding. And funding and hunter recruitment are tied together. Without support of the broader public these items will continue to suffer.

This discussion has endless tangents and I am not going down all of them. One example might be hunters behavior toward woman. And/or the content and/or ads in hunting magazines. Woman shun this and parents block their kids from such exposure. Say something dumb, and you lose the not dumb people. I will tell you this, it was the mentality of fisherman that pushed me to quit fishing. So I do not see it at all a stretch that the same would operate on hunters or on non-hunters. 

I got scouting to do, dogs to work, decoys to paint.... Its August..... 

Edited by mike rossi

The anti hunter's goal is to ban all hunting.  They don't support any type of hunting.  Sure, they can find these types of videos to use against hunters now, but they wouldn't stop their attacks if all of the situations on the video didn't exist.  They will always look to distort and propagandize all hunting, no matter what activities exist.  

The general public may support what they see as fair and ethical hunting today, but given time, the anti's will find a way to make that look uncivilized as well.  

It's not just hunting that's under attack today either.  There is a wide and perverse attitude across America today, regarding all aspects of our culture, where groups of sanctimonious elites try to dictate what is no longer acceptable in our society.  It's fascism and dictatorial tyranny.  Sadly, the American desire for freedom is being transformed by it as well.  That's what political correctness is all about.  It's tyranny with manners.

Hunters just happen to be an easy target and good for practice at achieving dictatorial goals.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1