Looking for recommendations on a truck

Caveman

I currently drive a 2009 Silverado, it just turned 142,500 miles the other day. Last of the 4 speed tranys, they all went to a 6 speed in 2010. Mechanically wise, it still runs great!!

It's the little things that are getting annoying for me. CD player stopped working, passenger side window control button on driver's side stopped working, XM radio lost signal, won't work??? The storage compartment between the seats, latch broke off? This will be the last winter for this truck, like you, I will be getting a new truck come spring.

I really don't haul or tow anything that heavy, so I am leaning with down sizing to the brand new Tacoma coming out next month. This will be my first Toyota, and they are rated #1 for durability and trade-in valve over most of the other trucks. Thinking of the TRD Sport, since I really don't like taking a $30,000.00+ truck off road and beating it up. Want a very dependable truck for winter driving and mostly highway use, besides getting the normal stuff a homeowner needs, mulch, 2x4's, firewood, snowblower/lawnmower servicing, etc. Like what they did to this truck for 2016. Bumped up the HP from 236 to 278hp, went with a 6 speed tranny instead of a 5 speed. Redone the frame, suspension, and inside as well. This will be my truck of choice for the future.

unless you carry 4000 pounds or tow over 10000 pounds every day the heavier trucks no mater what brand are over kill and now you are going over 50 thousand dollars for a pick up very wasteful money imo

Everytime I change trucks I have this debate with myself.

For what I spend on my 250/350 I could get a loaded up 150 and have money left over.

If you are occasionaly towing a small ATV or just some supplies now and then, a 150 will certainly do the job.

Most configurations of 250/350 (not dually) are rated at/near the same towing capacity as the 150. They all come in around 10-12k lbs.

IMO, if you are often towing toward the upper half of that capacity (6,000+) you are better served by the "super duty" version. Even at similar rated capacities, the 250/350 is built for heavier work. At the higher end of the range, the 150 will work, but is much likely to fail sooner.

It all comes down to what you are towing, how much you tow it and how long you plan to keep the vehicle.

Just bought a left over '14 Ram 1500 a few months ago. 395hp Hemi gets 18-19mp combo and 24-25 mpg cruising on the thruway at 75mph (my driving).

Awesome tech features with my 8.4 inch screen, smooth 8 speed tranny and 10,000lb towing with 3.92 gears. Only truck to come with true dual exhaust which I really love and sounds awesome. Plus it is very easy to work on and is extremely customizable and it is thousands less than all the others. My hunting partners all have chevy's and they ask my why I wouldnt buy one and I said the day GM makes a vehicle with control buttons and knobs that dont peel or fade is the day I will buy a GM. I HATE THAT!!! My buddies got pulled over in his silverado last week for doing 85 in a 65, his speedometer broke and is apparently a problem with alot of silveradoes. My other buddy has a 2005 Tahoe z71 and has to have the truck in the shop once a year because there is a sensor that goes  (1 on each wheel) and it sets off his traction control. No thanks!

post-639-0-82761600-1441047739_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-84723400-1441047820_thumb.jpg

Just bought a left over '14 Ram 1500 a few months ago. 395hp Hemi gets 18-19mp combo and 24-25 mpg cruising on the thruway at 75mph (my driving).

Awesome tech features with my 8.4 inch screen, smooth 8 speed tranny and 10,000lb towing with 3.92 gears. Only truck to come with true dual exhaust which I really love and sounds awesome. Plus it is very easy to work on and is extremely customizable and it is thousands less than all the others. My hunting partners all have chevy's and they ask my why I wouldnt buy one and I said the day GM makes a vehicle with control buttons and knobs that dont peel or fade is the day I will buy a GM. I HATE THAT!!! My buddies got pulled over in his silverado last week for doing 85 in a 65, his speedometer broke and is apparently a problem with alot of silveradoes. My other buddy has a 2005 Tahoe z71 and has to have the truck in the shop once a year because there is a sensor that goes  (1 on each wheel) and it sets off his traction control. No thanks!

Its not a true dual exhaust, unless its aftermarket, its a single in dual out muffler.

Nice looking truck BTW

Interesting thread. I've never owned a p/u but I'm thinking of maybe getting one.

I've also never made a car payment or lease payment , it's hard for me to wrap my head around the cost of new or a few years old truck.

I don't like to put much money into rapidly depreciating assets. The watch I'm wearing today costs more than my car, but also holds a better value......( bought it pre owned ).

Not afraid to spend money just not on vehicles . I do like the new Colorado though.

Its not a true dual exhaust, unless its aftermarket, its a single in dual out muffler.

Nice looking truck BTW

Thank you. And i stand corrected it is not true dual but still looks and sounds great for a stock exhaust. Sure sounds a heck of alot better that my neighbors 2014 F150 ecoboost.

My vote is find a used ranger/mazda pickup with 100,000 or less on it.  I have put 70,000 mi on our ranger since we bought it.  Paid $5,000 for it w/ 100,000 and I fully expect to put another 70,000 on it before it gives me any serious problems other than routine maintenance.