Looking for recommendations on a truck

Caveman

Dodge now makes the 2.7L ecodiesel that still has a towing capacity of around 9600 lbs, Fletch. People are reporting 29 mpg. Of course, with the $8k price tag on the diesel engine over the gas, you'd have to drive approximately 300k miles at today's gas prices to break even. lol

The Eco Diesel only has a tow rating of 7300lbs in a 4x4. It will get 27mpg, one of my buddys has one.

I have a 2010 Ram with the Hemi in it. Has almost 100k on it and no rust besides where some ding dong side swiped me and I havent replaced the fender yet. The only problem I have had with my truck was the exhaust manifold studs broke and I had a leak for a couple of days before I took it in and they put all new studs on both sides, covered under warranty. Some guys talk about brake pads on their Dodges, well, thats what happens when you buy cheap pads. When I do, they are typically gone in 8 or 9 months. If I pony up and buy good ones, Ill get over a year. I do alot of driving, Im not easy on my truck at all. Ive towed a 9000+lb trailer from Tampa Florida to Rochester NY, and she didnt even breathe hard. Ive had a beavertail with a mid size tractor behind it, no problem. I flashed the computer on mine to up the hp and torque a bit, and run heavy 10 ply off road tires and still get 14 to 16 mpg. Mine has a 9600lb towing capacity, and will show all but the higher end mustangs and camaros her tail lights on demand. With the computer flash, my truck runs a touch over 400hp and 410ft/lb of torque. Before the heavy tires, Id get 20 to 21 mpg on the highway.

My truck is on the Dodge buyback program because of a recall that was never fixed, but I havent gone to the dealer to see what my options are. Honestly, its a great truck and Id hate to get rid of it.

I'd have walked into that dealership yesterday to offload that hemi....

Missed the buyback by one year on my Dakota I think. With all of the suspension problems of that truck, let alone the other issues...I would have gladly taken a stiff deal from them.

Edited by phade

I find the comments sort of the exact opposite of what my experience has been. Chevy are 80k vehicles before they turn to a pile of junk. Played that game many times, last Chevy I had once I hit 60k I had the following fail, transmission, upper and lower ball joint,left and right wheel bearings, rear differntial gears, water pump, alternator the list just goes on and on. I have several friends and family who are diehard chevy guys, and they all trade up before 60k miles for a reason. Ford I have little experience and wont comment. Toyota no friggin way, Remember Pearl Harbor? Dodge is the only brand I will ever own again period. They been far the most reliable, longest lasting and even with 300k they still ride nice. I have replaced less parts on the last 3 dodges I owned with all at or close to 300k than 1 single chevy with 80k. My current truck Im again pushing 300k and I have replaced 1 wheel bearing last month and 1 ujoint in the drive shaft. Thats it other than general replacement stuff like brakes oil etc. I have a friend whos last new Chevy the rear axle broke out of it driving down the highway when it was new, the replacment the left rear caliper broke out of it again driving down the highway and destroyed the rim and tire. Just look at Chevys recall numbers, they far exceed all other manufacturers combined. Yet people cant swallow there pride and go buy another. Compare things such as suspension between the 2, Chevy 1/2 ton 3 leaf springs,Dodge 5. Look at the 4 wheel drive axle shafts. I have never had a single warranty issue either.

The 2009+ Rams dont run leaf springs, its a 5 link with coils.

The Eco Diesel only has a tow rating of 7300lbs in a 4x4. It will get 27mpg, one of my buddys has one.

I have a 2010 Ram with the Hemi in it. Has almost 100k on it and no rust besides where some ding dong side swiped me and I havent replaced the fender yet. The only problem I have had with my truck was the exhaust manifold studs broke and I had a leak for a couple of days before I took it in and they put all new studs on both sides, covered under warranty. Some guys talk about brake pads on their Dodges, well, thats what happens when you buy cheap pads. When I do, they are typically gone in 8 or 9 months. If I pony up and buy good ones, Ill get over a year. I do alot of driving, Im not easy on my truck at all. Ive towed a 9000+lb trailer from Tampa Florida to Rochester NY, and she didnt even breathe hard. Ive had a beavertail with a mid size tractor behind it, no problem. I flashed the computer on mine to up the hp and torque a bit, and run heavy 10 ply off road tires and still get 14 to 16 mpg. Mine has a 9600lb towing capacity, and will show all but the higher end mustangs and camaros her tail lights on demand. With the computer flash, my truck runs a touch over 400hp and 410ft/lb of torque. Before the heavy tires, Id get 20 to 21 mpg on the highway.

My truck is on the Dodge buyback program because of a recall that was never fixed, but I havent gone to the dealer to see what my options are. Honestly, its a great truck and Id hate to get rid of it.

Can you say 2015 Ram Rebel? You know you want one.

• Like 1

I'd have walked into that dealership yesterday to offload that hemi....

Missed the buyback by one year on my Dakota I think.

I have no reason to. The recall is all about a nut in the rear end. Theres nothing wrong with my truck. If I have to sell it back I will, if not, Ill keep it.

My Ex's 03 Durango with the same 4.7 in it is way over 100k and has never had a major problem. That truck is a tank.

You got a lemon, plain and simple.

My father's 01 S10 with less than 60k on it has had all of the brake lines rot out, fuel lines and a few other things. His Buick Century was in the shop everytime you turned around. He ended up buying a Kia to replace it. If you knew my dad, youd know how much of a die hard GM guy he has always been, now he wont buy any of it. You can keep that GM junk.

The recall is all about a nut in the rear end.

That really is the problem. Dodge/Ram trucks only have half of their nuts.

Either that or the nut in the rear end came from the GM or Ford.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

The 2009+ Rams dont run leaf springs, its a 5 link with coils.

I forget the 1500 doesnt have leaf springs now. Been looking at new 2500's and they run leafs still. I have a pal from Ampsterdan who comes out every few years, he always comments about how huge US trucks are and why the heck doesnt american manufactures run indy rear ends yet.
  • Like 1

Yeah and their warranty fix was a freaking helicoil

I had a chevy corsica company car given to me brand new to drive. This was 1999 or 2000, all 6 cylinders blew out the plugs, you get one fixed and bamm there goes another. Gm warranty fix, helicoils. I remember the mechanic saying hope it never needs plugs changed when the last helicoil went in it. That stupid car went back to the shop so many times the first 2 years for slipping transmision it was pathetic, it was just stupid, take it in for service it come out slipping gears, take it back it would be fine, this went on for 2 straight years before one guy finally found it had the wrong dipstick in the transmission.

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 2

That might actually be too manly.  I don't want to look like I'm overcompensating. 

Reasonable concern, just go with a pink or light purple color.  Kinda negates the overcompensating effect.  Also, while bed rug's are completely washable, never let blood touch the carpet.  That's what disposable tarps are for.

Personally, I can't really overcompensate enough.  Pygmy hunts with a fixed 4x scope.  How can one match up to that.

Speaking of which, I gotta buy some 40" mudders for the sissy truck.

That really is the problem. Dodge/Ram trucks only have half of their nuts.

Either that or the nut in the rear end came from the GM or Ford.

The nut is there, they forgot to put some loc-tite on it basically. Ford had a similar recall for the same thing. I have no idea why Dodge hasnt fixed the trucks.

I had a chevy corsica company car given to me brand new to drive. This was 1999 or 2000, all 6 cylinders blew out the plugs, you get one fixed and bamm there goes another. Gm warranty fix, helicoils. I remember the mechanic saying hope it never needs plugs changed when the last helicoil went in it. That stupid car went back to the shop so many times the first 2 years for slipping transmision it was pathetic, it was just stupid, take it in for service it come out slipping gears, take it back it would be fine, this went on for 2 straight years before one guy finally found it had the wrong dipstick in the transmission.

Happened to my 89 Celebrity with the 2.8 in it too. Garbage.

The nut is there, they forgot to put some loc-tite on it basically. Ford had a similar recall for the same thing. I have no idea why Dodge hasnt fixed the trucks.

I'd be curious to learn out if the repair is that simple - a lot of times the tensioning of the nut is so that taking it off makes it a gamble to break resulting in a much bigger repair.

Kia has that issue with the Sorrento and the crankshaft pulley bolt. $3 bolt and once it shears...about a $4-5k fix for a customer.

I'd be curious to learn out if the repair is that simple - a lot of times the tensioning of the nut is so that taking it off makes it a gamble to break resulting in a much bigger repair.

Kia has that issue with the Sorrento and the crankshaft pulley bolt. $3 bolt and once it shears...about a $4-5k fix for a customer.

Its the pinion nut. Shouldnt break anything taking it off, Ive rebuilt more than one differential over the years.

wd i am no 90 year old and i pound my truck from every single green light to every curve no one drives a truck as hard as i do every second i am in it at 50 i still drive like a teenager in fact i had a local cop who aproached me to see if i was the one he was trying to catch funny i did not know he was after me we had a good laugh and he moved on but i would not trade my truck for any other brand i drive them hard and they hold up

Well personally I wouldnt call speeding beating on a truck. Most often there is a boat, landscape trailer or enclosed trailer hooked to mine. Long trips heavy heavy loads, many times its on logging roads, getting the snot kicked out of it. I cant tell ya how many times I been chained up to a 4 wheel drive tractor with a wgon load of wood that was stuck in mud. I beat the hell out of my truck. I personally never had any Chevy I owned hold up to what the Dodges I have owned. We all have our stories and personal favorite brand, good thing they make choices.

• Like 2