Nimham Mountain

Elmo

I was on my way to a spot to hunt, I passed Nimham Mountain which I don't think I've ever been to.  There was construction on the bridge I needed to cross so I said why not, let's check out Nimham Mountain.  I park in the parking spot off of Nichols Street.

On my way in, I bump into a guy walking his dog.  He told me that there was no hunting in this area.  I asked if he was sure and he said he was pretty sure.  Then he asked if I was hunting deer and I told him I was hunting squirrels.  I reiterated again that I was pretty sure I remember seeing Nimham Mountain on the DEC map.  He told me that he might be wrong but he didn't want me to get busted and that it might be other areas of Nimham that allows hunting.

I figure it wasn't worth the risk in case I was wrong and he was right since this wasn't my destination anyway so I left.  Now that I'm home, I checked online and see that it is listed as a hunting area.  He didn't seem like an anti as he was very cordial.  Don't know.  Maybe he was cordial because I was very pleasant in response when he told me there was no hunting there.  Or maybe he was honest but was simply confused?  Has anyone hunted Nimham Mountain and is there some special regulation in that area?  Particularly off of Nichols Street?

there are a lot of dog walkers on some of the mua areas they think they own the land and do not like people hunting they have no respect for hunters its that simple go hunt the land you can get pamplets from the dec for free and keep them in your car to show any one who says you cant hunt there

It use to be everyone out in the field had a dog with them and was hunting. As a matter of fact, when we were trapping, to avoid stolen traps and fur as well as  competition with other trappers, we would carry a shotgun and wear orange - people would assume we were hunting cottontail or wild pheasant and ignore us. Imagine that - ignoring someone carrying a gun hunting wild pheasant and rabbits.. Those were the days..... 

Once it became popular for non hunters to go outdoors, I had one joker yell at me one time, there are no bucks on this side of the road, only does. The bucks are across the road.... I wonder how many hunters were stupid enough to believe that one..... 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input, guys.

This was where I parked.  I then entered by heading north on what looks like Rinaldi Trail/Blue Loop 4.  I did drive further north on 41 and yes, it was packed.  At least 8 cars and two mountain bikers were unloading their bikes just as I pulled in.  I didn't stop to look at the sign but I did see some notes regarding hunting on the board there.  The moment I saw the 8 cars I already made up my mind to head to my original destination and get some quality time in the woods instead of running around on a wild goose chase.  Just curious about this spot since I always wondered about it as a possible hunting destination.

post-789-0-16136000-1442374159_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The dog walkers and mountain bikers will more or less stay away during the hunting season. Regarding Nimham in particular, the property really needs some work. There was a Model Forest project proposed for there 12 or so years ago which a small number of local residents successfully stopped. It would have benefitted the forest. DEC also hasn't mowed some of the fields for years. This particular MUA once had great habitat for grouse, woodcock and rabbits. It's unfortunate that the management has been changed.

The dog walkers should be held to the same restrictions as hunting dog training. No dogs off leash during the bird breeding season (April 15 to August 15)....... pets will find bird nests also but this would be unenforceable.

Putnam Park Lands are not open to hunting but Conservation Lands are but to Putnam residents only. Do check current rules though as this was my last recollection.

I find it odd that some DEC pamphlets leave out hunting as one of the activities that are allowed. This just leads to an excuse for others to question hunters. I used to always inform people who questioned me that these lands were purchased in large part for hunting.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Edited by Woodcock

The dog walkers and mountain bikers will more or less stay away during the hunting season. Regarding Nimham in particular, the property really needs some work. There was a Model Forest project proposed for there 12 or so years ago which a small number of local residents successfully stopped. It would have benefitted the forest. DEC also hasn't mowed some of the fields for years. This particular MUA once had great habitat for grouse, woodcock and rabbits. It's unfortunate that the management has been changed.

The dog walkers should be held to the same restrictions as hunting dog training. No dogs off leash during the bird breeding season (April 15 to August 15)....... pets will find bird nests also but this would be unenforceable.

Putnam Park Lands are not open to hunting but Conservation Lands are but to Putnam residents only. Do check current rules though as this was my last recollection.

I find it odd that some DEC pamphlets leave out hunting as one of the activities that are allowed. This just leads to an excuse for others to question hunters. I used to always inform people who questioned me that these lands were purchased in large part for hunting.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

There was a Model Forest project proposed for there 12 or so years ago which a small number of local residents successfully stopped - and because a small number of local small game numbers did not help the dec push back.....

You as an individual or small group work with the dec office in that region, even enter an adopt a natural resource agreement and manage the ephemeral habitat.... Or you can talk with the ruffed grouse society and/or start a local rgs chapter.....

The dog walkers should be held to the same restrictions as hunting dog training. No dogs off leash during the bird breeding season (April 15 to August 15)....... pets will find bird nests also but this would be unenforceable. In my opinion, they are indeed subject to these same laws, and in other states this is vigorously and successfully enforced. I believe you really cant have your dog off lease legally on public land anywhere in the United States unless engaged in legal hunting or(hunting) dog training. I wouldn't discuss that with anyone out there though, as a matter of fact, I personally do not give anyone more than a nod and maybe hello out in the field - if they think I am in violation they can call the cops..... 

If you enter an adopt a natural resource agreement with the dec; or get active with the rgs, or start a rgs chapter - you will be amazed at how policy plays out. Hope you do so.... 

Edited by mike rossi

Mike is right about the dog walkers,we had a youth hunt coming up this past Saturday and the state stocked pheasants there Friday afternoon ,I went to check it out and there was a woman with her dog,I told her that the dog was hunting and she said she was not hunting but there are big birds flying around,told her her dog was harassing wildlife and running loose,with that she put her dog on a

leash,mountain are a big pain in the butt also,think they own the property.They show up with their bikes and dogs and off the leash,off they go riding wherever they please,a problem with the MB on NYC watershed lands also not allowed but they go any way.Time for the so called sportsmen to get off their duff and join and support groups that represent them,we should have had a dove season a long time ago,ask where are the ruffed grouse,where are all the rabbits,why are a small local group showing up at meetings and stopping common sense projects that would benefit every one,because no body from the sporting community attends,one or two people from the local clubs against 25 or more with the emotional and junk science some of our own also buy into it

because it sounds good to them,so they support it,join a local club,support the NRA,NYSCC,NYSRPA,dues are only $25.00 or $30.00and get informed there is so much going on in NYS

beside gun control

Ray,

The NYSRPA along with CANY and many individuals did an excellent job mobilizing people and collecting donations to hire an attorney to sue the DEC Commissioner and Governor Patterson when they attempted to shut down Reynolds State Pheasant Farm.

However, Habitat conservation organizations, such as the RGS, DU, PF, and QF have the expertise and equipment needed to do habitat projects. They also know how to partner with the DEC on habitat projects and what funding grants can be leveraged. A lot of people do not take realize that these organizations have about the same annual budget as a state wildlife agency - but operate much more independently of politics - which straps the dec, at least in how their money is spent and there is no debate about what the money is spent on. 

When we complained about a 30 year old habitat plan that was being hijacked, nobody was interested. We were told how it had been "discussed" for 30 years and never was going to happen. We got it started within 1 year of becoming involved, and completed within 3 or 4 years. Did we get credit for it? NO. Do we seek credit - no that is not what it is about nor is it the message I an trying to relay. 

And, on a personal level, the enhancements allowed me to take many muskrats, ducks, geese. We pushed with the dec, and also initiated  an adopt a natural resource agreement with the dec, but we didnt even need to provide the volunteer resources, because everything came together all of a sudden.... After the KO, there was a bunch of Uncle Joes who joined the fight....... If people want to fool themselves, let them, up until the point it confuses the next cohort or generation  about how things get really done and why sometimes they do not..... 

Edited by mike rossi

I support the PF & DU,also the push for doves,I meant getting support for the state organization that represent the sportsmen both organized and the unorganized,

the New York State Conservation Council,the council works for all the sportsmen in the state no one gets paid other than the secretary that takes care of the office,there are representatives

from almost every county & long Island excluding NYC and a few others,they have reps on the [FWMB] Fish & Wildlife Management Board  and also on the [CFAB]Conservation Fund Advisory Board

this takes money.they have expenses like every one else keeping the door open,go to NYSCC.com and check out the web page and join

I support the PF & DU,also the push for doves,I meant getting support for the state organization that represent the sportsmen both organized and the unorganized,

the New York State Conservation Council,the council works for all the sportsmen in the state no one gets paid other than the secretary that takes care of the office,there are representatives

from almost every county & long Island excluding NYC and a few others,they have reps on the [FWMB] Fish & Wildlife Management Board  and also on the [CFAB]Conservation Fund Advisory Board

this takes money.they have expenses like every one else keeping the door open,go to NYSCC.com and check out the web page and join

Ray,

You are indeed one of the top supporters of NY Dove Hunting.

The post you had responded to was a  narrative about a habitat project that was blocked by local residents. To the extent of my knowledge, the organizations you mentioned do not get involved with habitat conservation.(If I am wrong, then please list correct me). The primary habitat conservation organizations, with local chapters in many areas, are as previously mentioned, DU, PF, QF, RGS, plus The Nature Conservancy. 

Also to the extent of my knowledge, in addition to not having any habitat biologists and heavy equipment, the organizations you listed do  not have a track record of advocating for habitat. (If I am wrong, then please list correct me).

The FWMB and the CFAB does indeed have regional units. However, I don't know why you are stressing  that, so I think I am missing the point you are trying to make. . 

The FWMB and CFAB members are appointed by politicians, plus a handful of ex-officico members from the DEC and the Legislature. These are citizen boards, mandated by law, they are not "clubs" or "organizations". Much the same as the citizen deer task force. 

The function of the FWMB is to develop hunting and fishing access, mostly on private lands. They do not function in a habitat capacity.

CFAB , the conservation advisory board,  by its name appears to function in directing how the conservation fund is spent. However, in practice, it seems they function more as accountants. If that is true, they do not function in a habitat capacity either.

Local sportsmen, in addition to advocating for habitat projects, can also generate funds for habitat and they can provide volunteer labor for habitat in two ways:

1. Local sportsmen can engage an established habitat conservation organization or even start a new chapter.

2. In addition, "a group of guys" with no affiliation to any organization can enter into an "adopt a natural resource agreement" with the DEC and help drive a local habitat project. 

For more info or to get involved:

Each of the habitat conservation organizations pre -mentioned has a website. The regional biologist for the RGS is actually a member of this forum. 

The DEC's Adopt a Natural Resource program is outlined on their website. 

Edited by mike rossi