Smoked Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Backstrap

WNYBuckHunter

Been using up my venison in the freezer, and came up with this today.

Take a section of backstrap, and split it in the middle enough to butterfly it out a bit (dont cut all the way through). Stuff the backstrap with jalapeno slices, diced onion, minced garlic and shredded cheddar jack cheese. Next, lay out slices of bacon into a sheet as long as your section of backstrap. Then lay the stuffed backstrap in the middle of the bacon. Sprinkle a bit of Montreal Seasoning on the bacon slices and wrap them around the backsrap until it is encased in the bacon. use toothpicks to hold it all together. Last, rub the outside of the bacon with a Memphis style BBQ rub.

Heat up your smoker to 250 and smoke the wrapped backstrap for 3 hours using the wood of your choice. I used pecan and it turned out great.

22F919F3-6036-4286-9EC8-128025626B79_zps

• Like 7

Looks and sounds great but looks a little well done..... Is the because you smoked it or was it dried out a little?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most times when smoking like this you utilize the water pan in the smoker. Even when meat is more well done in a smoker with a water bath it is still very juicy.

Looks and sounds great but looks a little well done..... Is the because you smoked it or was it dried out a little?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a little well done, internal temp was about 150, but it was extremely juicy, not dry in the least.

As Culver said, I do use a water pan in my smoker.

WNY, next time you wrap in bacon do a basket weave with the bacon into like a sheet and then wrap whatever you want in it. . it stays in place nicely. I do that with a stuffed goose breast recipe.

I do that for bacon explosions and stuff like that. Didnt want to use that much bacon for this, it was thick sliced stuff. If Id have used regular sliced, I probably would have.