asking permission to hunt...

loworange88

Hi everyone, I've been looking at the local GIS maps to find some possible hunting areas, or land parcels that border state lands....etc etc.  My question is has anyone had any luck getting permission to hunt lands that are owned by  a land trust company, or perhaps owned by a local business?  I would assume I would be told NO due to liability reasons.  Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in this avenue.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I've been looking at the local GIS maps to find some possible hunting areas, or land parcels that border state lands....etc etc.  My question is has anyone had any luck getting permission to hunt lands that are owned by  a land trust company, or perhaps owned by a local business?  I would assume I would be told NO due to liability reasons.  Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in this avenue.

Thanks

Maybe you could do one of those not posted so I thought it was ok kind of deals. I mean make an effort to ask but if you can't get a solid NO then I would think it wouldn't be a problem unless it is NYS DOT land or gov't owned then I would recommend staying away. My buddy almost got several tickets for fishing in a DOT pond that wasn't posted, marked, fenced, nothing.

Maybe you could do one of those not posted so I thought it was ok kind of deals. I mean make an effort to ask but if you can't get a solid NO then I would think it wouldn't be a problem unless it is NYS DOT land or gov't owned then I would recommend staying away. My buddy almost got several tickets for fishing in a DOT pond that wasn't posted, marked, fenced, nothing.

Sorry But this does not sound like even remotely good advice

May be the way I am reading it but would never put myself or anyone in that position

I believe in NY if you don't own it you need permission

Here in NH you don't need permission if it isn't posted but recommended & I always ask anyway if they say NO I move on

• Like 3

Sorry But this does not sound like even remotely good advice

May be the way I am reading it but would never put myself or anyone in that position

I believe in NY if you don't own it you need permission

Here in NH you don't need permission if it isn't posted but recommended & I always ask anyway if they say NO I move on

Technically in NY whether there are signs or not it is considered posted.

• Like 2

Technically, if the land is vacant (unimproved), not fenced and not posted you can access it for hunting and fishing.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8371.html

With that said, I don't do it. 

Neat link. During bow training the DEC officer cited an example of when a land owner called him over trespassing and he told the person he couldn't press charges because the land hadn't been posted.

Neat link. During bow training the DEC officer cited an example of when a land owner called him over trespassing and he told the person he couldn't press charges because the land hadn't been posted.

I have heard instances of this as well. When we turned in a guy for tresspassing 2 years ago the first question was "is it posted?" We post it every year and double check halfway thru the season to make sure no one has torn down signs.

• Like 1

Can't press charges, but you can tell them to leave and not come back.

It is unfortunate that NY isn't like other states where you need permission to access or you will be charged.

Responsibility should be on the hunter, not the landowner.

• Like 1