Newbie needs help!

MikeGee

I'm a former city boy that moved to the country. I became very interested in hunting and did the work to get my license. Now I feel like I'm in limbo because I'm stuck on what to do next. I suppose I'll go to a range and shoot but I don't have any friends to help me along the way. I would love to make some hunting buddies to mentor me and guide me. I'm very much a beginner and need help finding my way. Anything I know, I've read in magazines and websites or saw on TV shows. Any suggestions?

I'm a former city boy that moved to the country. I became very interested in hunting and did the work to get my license. Now I feel like I'm in limbo because I'm stuck on what to do next. I suppose I'll go to a range and shoot but I don't have any friends to help me along the way. I would love to make some hunting buddies to mentor me and guide me. I'm very much a beginner and need help finding my way. Anything I know, I've read in magazines and websites or saw on TV shows. Any suggestions?

Yea maybe put a location or area of state so we know a location so if willing/able to help we can

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

Try to find a local gun club. You will have a place to practice with your gun. And

there will be experienced hunters there who may be willing to give you advice and help get you going . Good luck and don't give up! We need more guys like you!

• Like 2

Long ways from me as well. Keep an eye out for seminars, outdoor shows, etc. where you would be able to surround yourself by guys and girls that hunt. Other than that, do some reading up on the type of hunting you would like to do so you have a good starting point and just sort of freestyle from there. Much of hunting is time spent learning things on your own and creating your own way of doing things, that's what makes some of us great hunters and others of us great story tellers.

• Like 2

Practice. Learn,, Then repeat.

Weapon safety is #1. Don't even worry about hunting until you're good with your weapon and feel that you can make the right shot.

As far as hunting start with the basics. Finding deer paths look for poop and marks in mud. Bucks are closing in on rut season lot of scrapes and rubs will be around.

Stay on course there's lots to learn about and the hunt is a great thing to pursue.

Good luck anything I can do to help ya let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! It's all helpful information!

Do you recommend starting with a rifle or shotgun? I always just assumed a rifle would be best. What type of rile is best for a newbie like me?

It all depends what you are hunting. I assume you are planning to deer hunt? You need to check and see if the area you are going to hunt is "shotgun only" or if you are allowed to hunt deer with a rifle. As for a deer rifle, I have always been a big fan of the .270. A lot of guys like the .30-06 as well.

Edited by Chris B

Yeah, in my mind, I'd love to bag deer, turkey and even bear, but that's in the long run. Deer for now.

You'll need a shotgun for turkeys, preferably a 12 gauge with either a full choke or extra full choke tube for a tighter shooting pattern. As for bear and deer, I like the .270, like I said, but you just need to check and make sure you are allowed to hunt them with a rifle in your area. Otherwise you will need a shotgun for that too

• Like 1

It depends.  Do you intend to hunt anything other than deer?  If you can imagine yourself hunting turkey, ducks, squirrels, ect. I would recommend a shotgun to begin with.  A good pump shotgun in 20 or 12 gauge will take just about any animal you can hunt and probably last your entire lifetime if its properly taken care of.  Usually, for new hunters I recommend finding a shotgun that has:

1) A smooth bore on the barrel it comes with (if it only comes with one)

2) Removable chokes

3) Is capable of shooting magnum loads (3" for 20g and 3 1/2" for 12g) 

4) There are rifled barrels with cantilever mounts available (some new guns come with these in addition to the smooth bore barrel)

This lets you change the configuration a bit as you become more experienced and have a better idea of what you like hunting.  Most modern shotguns fit these criteria, but if you are looking at used guns they are things to look for.

If you only intend to hunt deer, I would suggest maybe looking at a Savage 7mm-08.  It is a very capable cartridge and for the price is a good gun. 

• Like 1

It is hard for me to imagine not growing up in the sport with father, grandfather, uncles... to guide the way. That said I think it can be done self taught but I think you are right that finding a good mentor or two would really ease the way and improve your experience. Even if it is just someone to call and say hey I saw this or what would you do in this instance...to bounce ideas and suck in knowledge. Or take you on a scouting trip to show terrain, animal sign, likely spots.......

As others have said safety is top priority. Knowledge of land and the animals use of it. Proper shot selection. And then what to do with what you took. Cleaning any animal the first time or two without guidance is a bitch.

I am a long ways off but keep searching there are a lot of good guys/gals out there. You find them congregating at outdoor shows, archery shops, sporting good stores......and forums like these.

Edited by Fletch

If you do decide to go with a new shotgun, I would avoid the newer Remington 870.  I have two friends who bought them because they were cheap, and both complain that they rust if you even look at them.  One has already sold his, and the other is in the process.  Not sure if its the new finish or if they changed their steel, but I have heard nothing but complaints about the new ones.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!!!  One thing I would add is make sure you have a GPS, map and compass they are much better than using a phone.  Proper clothes, wear orange and make sure you Identify your prey and place your shot.   Be safe and read the regulations.  Local rifle ranges are a great place to meet other hunters.   Good luck and enjoy your time in the woods and you will never be disappointed.  Some great advice guys!

• Like 1