4O

the blur

What's doing with 4O ?

I used to hunt 4O,  but then a few years ago I couldn't get doe permits anymore.  So I dropped the lease, and I moved futher west to state land, in zone 3.

The land owner wanted me back, & told me to get 4S permits.  I politly told him no thank you;  as I hunt meat,  not trophy's.  It was bordering the PA boarder anyway.

The doe population must have taken a hit for the DEC to stop issuing DMP's.

Did they start issuing 4O DMP's again ?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hunt 4o in allmost all towns and this has been the worst season in my almost 39 years of hunting

I agree. I hunted opening weekend and didn't see a deer and shots were very few and far in between. This was the worst hunting season we've encountered in 35 years of hunting. Matter of fact this is the first time that we've gone without a deer.

Hopefully next year will bring better hunting.

• 1 month later...

I agree. I hunted opening weekend and didn't see a deer and shots were very few and far in between. This was the worst hunting season we've encountered in 35 years of hunting. Matter of fact this is the first time that we've gone without a deer.

Hopefully next year will bring better hunting.

Some years are like that ...We had success, 2 opening morning bucks.

Mine was this monster.

post-1921-0-21910900-1327629438_thumb.jppost-1921-0-21910900-1327629438_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I hunt 4o in allmost all towns and this has been the worst season in my almost 39 years of hunting

well Dad6424 I am down the road from you on Swart Hollow road, I got to say it was not the best for me as well. Being a older hunter (70), I go out for the first 4 hours in the morning and then the last 4 hours till dark with the bow, when gun start I hunted just about every day the first two week for about 6 hours a day. I never saw but 2 doe's and one little 4 point buck in the gun season. During the bow had 3 mom doe, and a total of 4 fawn's go by me several times, saw one spike buck that I think was about 85 lbs, and the small 4 oint buck, also several times during the bow season. Now for yotes, we found in the pasture in June and July 3 fawn skins and about 10 turkey bones/feathers from the Yote's. I did get a shot at one with the bow but missed he was running across at about 20 yards in the brush and I hit a small branch. My grandson did get a few coyotes in his trap line this fall/winter. But sure seems that somehow the deer herd is very damaged in our area. I do think to many doe's and also I would like to go back to one buck per person and take it with whatever you want to hunt with i.e gun,bow, BP and or crossbow. but only one per hunter.