Deer Search

wooly

With all the posts about guys getting upset finding dead deer in the woods, I'm curious how many here have ever used Deer Search and what your experience was like, good or bad?

I used them 2 seasons ago. I think many others could stand to learn a thing or two from them.

I've used them before with good results,but keep in mind they get swamped during the season. If there is snow Try tracking your harvested deer backward. you'll learn more about deer's habits and tendancys and it will help you when you lose a blood trail in the future.

I like them, but because of laws, they have to be by the book, understandably.

The kid I mentor once put a good shot on a 2.5 y/o buck. I was able to watch it, actually, because I was in a stand about 50 yards away, and saw the entire encounter through the binos.

The shot was solid, center mass, but a little back...it looked like a classic back lungs/liver hit. It was forward enough that I am convinced he creased a lung or both, and cleary hit liver. Arrow penetration was solid, and only the flectching kept arrow in on opposite side.

Let sit for 3-4 hours, and began the track. Found arround about 30 yards into it, with some bubble marks. Most blood was dark, indicating the liver had been pinched. Bubbles were enough to think that a lung was touched.

We lost trail an mere 50 yards from point of impact as the deer reached an open green field. We had a general direction, and were able to locate blood about 40 yards from the field line, and that was it.

The two of us looked, then brought in another. Deer had to cross a few hedge rows and a street to meet woods. No evidence of it reaching the street. One brushy area of about 3 acres that I suspected was the final resting place was thick...hands and knees we went with no luck. I firmly believe he made it there.

Kid had to go down to college. We called Deer Search the next day after I looked again. They couldn't come down because he wasn't able to be there, although I could.

I understood, but it was unfortunate that it played out that way. Never found the deer.

I prefer other states that allow trackers that are not bound by such tight laws.

I have considered looking into the certification part with my dog but I do not want to be a part of deer search as those guys get calls probaly every day to go track one. I certainly do not have the time to devote to such a positive organization. I think their sucess rate is around 50% (?) which is good when you consider that 100% of the calls they get are from hunters who cannot find their game. It would be handy to have a dog at home waiting in the event of an emergency from a bad hit gone wrong.

Phade I have a silly question, did you guys check the fields to be 100% sure the deer wasn't in one of them? I had a doe bed down and die in a field as the result of a liver hit this year. I about threw up when we hit the edge of the grassy field only to have my brother quickly spot her, it was a woderfull releif to say the least.

Doewacker,  My brother had a beagle that would track a wounded deer (found 6 out of seven) was never certified, we just never carried a weapon with us and kept him on a long lead 50' rope. Just taking a dog for a walk.....was handy to have around.

Oh yeah, the field was only about 2-3 inch high...a late wheat planting.

ah I see. I was shocked at how low my doe was laying in the field making it kinda tough to spot at first glance. The grass was @8 inches tall though.

I suppose there are no laws against simply walking a dog, I was looking at it as more of a title for my dog but hey he would never know the difference.

G-man Im pretty sure thats against the law but I agree me and my bro have a dog that would def find blood and I wouldnt hesitate to use it.  I called deer search once and since their was a possibility the deer crossed on to utilty company property and they thought it was a shoulder hit they didn't come. Just like a previous story I was in a tree about a 100 yrds from my bro saw his shot and the deer ran passed me where I saw his wound the only reason I didnt shoot it to was it looked fatal and it would have been a running bow shot.  Never found the deer and due to the chance of crossing property lines with no permision they wouldnt do it.