restoring /cleaning old deer mounts

hunter49

Well if its from smoke, warm water and dish detergent... some taxidermists ust to shellac them, it might be that turning yellow,ususally from age they bleach out and turn white...yellow you'll probably have to bleach them and have them air brushed to look like the natural staining.

I have not tried it but was told by a old timer taxidermist that using rubbing a pair of pantyhose on them will clean the antlers. Also was told you can take a deer mount outside on a nice summer day and give to a bath with a garden hose to clean it up. I have a old mount that a family member passed away and I was give the mount. It was taken on my property along time ago.

I have not tried it but was told by a old timer taxidermist that using rubbing a pair of pantyhose on them will clean the antlers. Also was told you can take a deer mount outside on a nice summer day and give to a bath with a garden hose to clean it up. I have a old mount that a family member passed away and I was give the mount. It was taken on my property along time ago.

I wouldn't use a hose and water on it. I think the hide is put on moist and allowed to dry and shrink to the form. If the mount is old like the one you have it could be like a papermache underneath and getting wet could ruin it.

I vacuum mine with the bristle brush...if it is soiled I would probably let a professional do it.

Well here is a link to some tips.Look at the bottom of the tips and it says do not vacuum.  Also read a few other web pages about watching out for bugs and insects on your animal mounts. I have never looked at any of mine for these.I think I would have noticed them, but am going to be looking in the ears,eyes, mouth and noise like they suggested. Yea still not up to the idea of using a garden hose, but the old guy just looks all yellow and terrible compared to my other mounts.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4896932_clean-deer-mount.html

You can wash a mount; BUT its not a hose down operation, just enough to wet the surface. More like a fine mist of water. You may need to repeat a soiled mount several times to pull the dirt out, between you can used compressed air or the blower side of a shop vac to get rid of the excess water. You want to avoid soaking the skin.

Think sponge bath; not shower. Take extra care around the eye work and ears. You can have a mount touched up with fresh airbrush work if you lift any original paint work for a minimal fee most times.

Watch the direction of your washing; its not a car. Always follow the lay of the hair for strokes and never go against it. You'll break the folicles off at the base. Gently side to side and along it to reset the hair to the proper direction.

Good tip on the vacuum use above....blowing is good or vacuum with light suction, a regular shop vac will pull the hair and crease the folicles.

Good read hear for more cleaning tips and how to done by a very qualified taxidermist;

http://www.africahunting.com/taxidermy-preservation/507-care-your-mounted-trophy.html

I wipe my mounts with this once a year;

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/K859-P3988C203.aspx

I bought a quart and split it with a few friends; I put mine in a misting type pump spray (windex bottle or similar) It has a strong odor for a few days, so I do them in summer on a screen porch to let them vent before bringing them inside. A little goes a long way.

I think I have seen that stuff before. Does it smell like a drycleaners solution?

Never thought about it that way; but I would say its similar.

You use just enough on a rag to wipe the mount down and leave a very lite coating behind. Acts as an insect repellent and stays active for a long time. I suspect it has a Pyrethrin in it, as clothing sprays and Buzz-off type products are the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

As a professional taxidermist i couldn't give better advice for cleaning a old or soiled mount then what dinsdale posted. Good advice Dins. For the yellow antlers i would recommend a dark stain thinned or watered down and applied lightly with a rag over several days until you reach your desired color.

• 5 years later...

I have a mount that had been hung near a woodstove and also lots of people smoking. Not only were the antlers yellow but the hide also. I used mineral spirits on the antlers and hide both using paper towel and putting the mineral spirits on the paper towel and wiping it down. It took all the yellow completely out and made the mount look brand new again. After it dried I then used furniture polish on the hide and w-d40 on the antlers. It came out amazing.