To those admittedly chasing big antlers as priority 1, what if ....

moog5050

Priority 1 is the thrill of getting within 10 yards of a buck on the ground and making a kill with the bow. Done it several times and trumps the biggest antler of a lifetime thing...but that's just me.

I introduced a friend in S Indiana to deer hunting in 1982. Before he died he was stalking & killing bucks from the ground with self bows as well as arrows he made himself.

I remember him telling me about a buck that got up out his bed so close to him he said, "I could see the fear in his eyes before he turned & ran".

Edited by wildcat junkie

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot 140 in and 130 in and 120 in. Bucks after over 100 deer (buck and doe) I do not get excited and would rather see another person get the deer I scouted and hung a stand for. I still put some effort into bow, it's always a challenge but only when i feel the need to, a good time with friends is what hunting has become for me personally....

That is the way it is on our property. I would rather see my father, sister, or myself get that one big buck walking around than the guy 2 properties over. During bow season of 2013 I had missed a beautiful 10 point (pictured below) by hitting a branch for a guy 2 properties over to whack him during gun season. Still kicking myself wishing I had trimmed those branches thinking he will just walk right in front of me. He knew something was up but unfortunately he was behind a branch I didn't see until it was too late.

photo_zpsiczzj0o1.jpg