Predator Hunting Lights

I was wondering what everyone is using for lights when coyote hunting at night? I have a primos red light that is very bulky, not too bright and the battery dies.

Go with an LED gun-mountable light or a laser designator type light.

If you want to learn a bit more about current technology with hunting lights, you're always welcome shoot me a line.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Predator Light predator_light.gif predator_light_side.gif light_base.gif light_and_base_2.gif PredatorLight_thumb.jpg predator_light.gifLights Now Available - $269.00 + $10 shipping/handling

buybutton.jpg

• L.E.D.
  • 3 Settings -- Walk Light, Low and High
  • The Predator comes with the charging port show above and lanyard.
  • Options (sold separately): Car Charger, Colored Pop Covers, Scope Mounts for Rifles and Barrel Mounts for Shotguns
  • Light weight -- The Predator only weighs 6 Ounces
  • Compact -- It is so compact that you can put the Predator in your pants pocket
  • Waterproof
  • Lithium Ion Battery
  • Approximately 20 hour burn time on low and approximately 4 hours on high
  • Low battery indicator -- when the battery is down to 20% life left then the Predator will automatically switch over to the walk light -- you can switch it back to high or low. The automatic switch to walk light is nothing more than a warning
  • 100,000 hour L.E.D. life and 500 charges on the battery
  • Charging indicator -- when you plug in the Predator, the walk light will flash 5 times to let you know that it is taking a charge
  • Charging time is approximately 8 hours
  • 1 year standard electronics warranty

header01.gif

Considering the stream light waypoint lithium for scanning. Might pick it up this weekend for a weekend hunt... Will post back

Supposedly 1000 lumens for 3hrs. Can get green and red lens. Also says it can reach out almost 700yrds. I'll never need half that. Can't find any reviews online so I'll be the test rat.

Edited by TreeGuy

Considering the stream light waypoint lithium for scanning. Might pick it up this weekend for a weekend hunt... Will post back

Supposedly 1000 lumens for 3hrs. Can get green and red lens. Also says it can reach out almost 700yrds. I'll never need half that. Can't find any reviews online so I'll be the test rat.

I don't have any experience with that light specifically but just keep in mind that brightest isn't always best. An animal can spook no matter what color light if you "burn" them with the bright beam. If you pick up eyes, move the beam upward so that you are using the very outside portion.

• Like 1

As a scanning light, you really want to stay low on lumens. Having a filter will reduce the efficiency on the light. Ideally, you want a red led emitter for a scanning light, as it won't disrupt the human night vision as much as the other spectrums.

1000 lumens running on a single lithium battery for 3hrs is unrealistic in today's technology.

Many companies have been pushing numbers, knowing that lumens, flux, and candlepower is hard to measure without special tools. Be wary of this.

As a scanning light, you really want to stay low on lumens. Having a filter will reduce the efficiency on the light. Ideally, you want a red led emitter for a scanning light, as it won't disrupt the human night vision as much as the other spectrums.

1000 lumens running on a single lithium battery for 3hrs is unrealistic in today's technology.

Many companies have been pushing numbers, knowing that lumens, flux, and candlepower is hard to measure without special tools. Be wary of this.

Right, so if its 500 and u put a filter on it will be perfect for spotting, plus I can reach out for spotting deer and have a hell of a flashlight need be...

I don't have any experience with that light specifically but just keep in mind that brightest isn't always best. An animal can spook no matter what color light if you "burn" them with the bright beam. If you pick up eyes, move the beam upward so that you are using the very outside portion.

With high med and low I should be able to adjust to brightness. U can always turn it down, but if need be you can always turn it up too !
  • Like 1

Right, so if its 500 and u put a filter on it will be perfect for spotting, plus I can reach out for spotting deer and have a hell of a flashlight need be...

Using a filter on an LED flashlight is kind of like driving a Prius with your hand-brake engaged, or one foot on the brake petal. It's a matter of efficiency. I wouldn't go more than 200 lumens for a scanning light, often times much less is needed.

With high med and low I should be able to adjust to brightness. U can always turn it down, but if need be you can always turn it up too !

I don't know many LED modules that doesn't have at least three settings, it's pretty much standard. You start getting fancy when it has advanced features, like memory.

I don't know where your going.... Do u have experience with the stream light ? I should get a more " fancy " unit ? What is a Prius ?

I was referring to the Toyota Prius, an electric hybrid car that's well known for its high gas mileage. I was giving an example of efficiency.

And yes, I do have experience with the Stream, as well as others.

I'm not advocating you get a "fancy" light, just letting you know that the options you speak of isn't "fancy" but just standard in today's market. I build my own lighting system, so I know a little bit here and there.

If you're not looking to spend $300 on a lighting system then I'd suggest you go to dealxtreme.com and search "singfire" red lights/LED's... They are a Chinese company that makes pretty impressive lights for cheap. I bought two red led lights for scanning and now these are my go to lights. I even keep one mounted to my 22mag as a kill light. The beam is adjustable from flood to spot. They run on rechargeable 18650 batteries which come with the lights as well as a battery charger for around $35/ per light. I've had them for a few years now and they outperform many expensive lights. Id say i can identify an animal at 200 yds in most situations. The only downside is it takes like a month to get them in the mail.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, I have cabelas gift cards but I'm now thinking of getting the cyclops 500. Half the price and prob half the light of the streamlite, but allows me to get some other gear too. If I don't like it I'll be glad to return it. Anybody have one ?

I believe a buddy of mine has/had a cyclops. Last I recall, it was troublesome and he ended up getting the LED setup I was speaking to you about.