Do you reload?

MrGroundhog

Borngeechee, on 29 Feb 2016 - 4:05 PM, said:

Yeah it's 3 grains off of the max load in the lee manual and after doing a lot of online searches, I've found that it's a pretty popular load.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

but you haven't shot it?

Take it for what it is worth. I wouldn't recommend loading a bunch of any one load until you see if your gun even likes it.

• Like 4

but you haven't shot it?

Take it for what it is worth. I wouldn't recommend loading a bunch of any one load until you see if your gun even likes it.

Not yet, but I've seen it listed for my rifle a lot. You're right though , every rifle is a little different even if it's the same model. I only made 20 rounds though just to test it out and see what tweaking if any needs to be made.

Not yet, but I've seen it listed for my rifle a lot. You're right though , every rifle is a little different even if it's the same model. I only made 20 rounds though just to test it out and see what tweaking if any needs to be made.

Instead of making 20 rds of the same load, I'd load 3 rounds each at 46, 45.6, 45.2, 44.8, 46.4, 46.8, 47.2

That'll get you 21 rounds to play with.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I like that. Imma try that next go round

You can always pull the bullets and redistribute the powder and re-seat them.

I can't imagine shooting 20 rounds of the same load after discovering the first 3 shots were grouping less than anticipated.

168gr and Varget is also a very good proven load to try.

Edited by shawnhu

You can always pull the bullets and redistribute the powder and re-seat them.

I can't imagine shooting 20 rounds of the same load after discovering the first 3 shots were grouping less than anticipated.

168gr and Varget is also a very good proven load to try.

Do you need a bullet puller or can you do it without

Do you need a bullet puller or can you do it without

Get a kinetic bullet puller they're less than $20.

Bullet%20Puller_zpsk70vbxit.jpg

I'm a bit curous as to how you worked up to a load 3gr under max.

Rule of thumb is to start 10% under maximum & work up. That would be 44gr or 5gr under max..

• Like 2

Borngeechee, on 29 Feb 2016 - 7:36 PM, said:

I like that. Imma try that next go round

I am sure this was covered in the reloading manual you picked up. I would reread the section for a refresher. What Shawn said is correct and once you find that best grouping range you can further narrow the powder weight down to bring it in even more. Part of the fun of reloading.

shawnhu, on 29 Feb 2016 - 7:33 PM, said:

Instead of making 20 rds of the same load, I'd load 3 rounds each at 46, 45.6, 45.2, 44.8, 46.4, 46.8, 47.2

That'll get you 21 rounds to play with.

I am sure this was covered in the reloading manual you picked up. I would reread the section for a refresher. What Shawn said is correct and once you find that best grouping range you can further narrow the powder weight down to bring it in even more. Part of the fun of reloading.

I may have missed that somehow but I will reread. I'll use the rounds that I already made since it's not for my hunting rifle. I will be doing this on my next go round for all my rifles. I wanna use my 45-70 for hunting this year so this will be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Borngeechee, on 01 Mar 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

I may have missed that somehow but I will reread. I'll use the rounds that I already made since it's not for my hunting rifle. I will be doing this on my next go round for all my rifles. I wanna use my 45-70 for hunting this year so this will be very helpful. Thanks guys.

An old Winchester in 45-70 is on my bucket list.

• Like 1

but you haven't shot it?

When I first started I did 20 rounds for my rifle all the same and it hated every 9 of them I shot. I ended up coming home from the range very upset and frustrated because the rifle shot sub-moa on cheap cor-lokts and these top quality loads were lucky to have a 3 shot 3" group.

My rifle really likes the Nosler ballistic tips vs the Hornady SST ballistic tip not sure why they were the same weight, ballistic tip and a boat tail but the noslers just shot better.

Now I always do a full length re-size is that the reason my brass doesn't last as long?

Edited by chas0218

chas0218, on 01 Mar 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

When I first started I did 20 rounds for my rifle all the same and it hated every 9 of them I shot. I ended up coming home from the range very upset and frustrated because the rifle shot sub-moa on cheap cor-lokts and these top quality loads were lucky to have a 3 shot 3" group.

My rifle really likes the Nosler ballistic tips vs the Hornady SST ballistic tip not sure why they were the same weight, ballistic tip and a boat tail but the noslers just shot better.

Now I always do a full length re-size is that the reason my brass doesn't last as long?

what gun is it?

Some cartridges are more prone to brass wear than others, and then there's the methods of resizing as well as age of the brass matters as well. These things all work against the brass, and the only way to bring it back is to anneal.

For both novice and expert a real good resource for finding a starting point with many cartridges is a book called "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. I have used this book many times when loading a new cartridge or just researching for something better and and have always had good results. A bit different from a typical reloading manual as the loads in this particular book are the best of the best.

While the data is goes back a few years it is still pertinent today and anyone who reloads will not go wrong with this one, it is really good!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I loaded up some 70gr Nosler BT in front of varget starting from midrange, and got signs of pressure. Pulled all the bullets and marked it in my log book. I'm guessing it's the brass. I've seen pressure signs from this brand of brass more than any other brass so far.

Understanding your brass better would allow for hotter loads if that's what you're ultimately going for.

shawnhu, on 01 Mar 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I loaded up some 70gr Nosler BT in front of varget starting from midrange, and got signs of pressure. Pulled all the bullets and marked it in my log book. I'm guessing it's the brass. I've seen pressure signs from this brand of brass more than any other brass so far.

Understanding your brass better would allow for hotter loads if that's what you're ultimately going for.

pressure signs at mid-range? What brass and gun? I guess you are talking about your 243?