Necked down .223

chas0218

So I tried to re size .223 brass to .222 here is what happened. I don't think I would feel comfortable shooting this in my gun but I did this to see if it would work if I was in a bind. Obviously out did not. Has anyone else tried this with different results? Is there a better cartridge to try instead of the .223?

1f5fcce86f9a8fc3fe0936607aa0bf52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your really not necking down. They are both .22 cal. You are trying to form. It can be done. By the looks of that case, you went to fast with not enough lube. I use imperial sizing wax. Just go slow try small increments. Then when formed, you will have to trim.

The 222 case is quite a bit shorter than the 223, you have to push the shoulder back quite a bit. I believe when you are making that big of a change you need dedicated case forming dies that form the case in several steps. After that is done the neck will be way over length and will have to be trimmed. I don't know who makes forming dies these days, CH and Corbin did at one time but I do not know if those outfits are still in business. 

Al

• Like 1

Haha yeah I know, I just wanted to try something different. I'm getting bored waiting for walleye season to start.

Your really not necking down. They are both .22 cal. You are trying to form. It can be done. By the looks of that case, you went to fast with not enough lube. I use imperial sizing wax. Just go slow try small increments. Then when formed, you will have to trim.

No you're right the title was misleading, I was re sizing the .223 brass to .222. I tried going slower I'll give it another shot doing it in smaller increments. I'll naval my die out a few towns and do out turn by turn to see if that helps.

The 222 case is quite a bit shorter than the 223, you have to push the shoulder back quite a bit. I believe when you are making that big of a change you need dedicated case forming dies that form the case in several steps. After that is done the neck will be way over length and will have to be trimmed. I don't know who makes forming dies these days, CH and Corbin did at one time but I do not know if those outfits are still in business.

Al

I'll look into those dies, at my range there are always tons of .223 brass. I have a brass trimmer may look into one of those nice rcbs trimmers. Mine is a cheap one but does a nice job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This will get you straightened out, I found just what you are looking for from Huntington's but they are pretty pricey. You can buy quite a bit of new 222 brass for the cost of those dies. I am in a fix myself trying to locate 222 mag and 284 win brass and unless I get lucky I will be forming my own.

Al

http://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=17747&cat=579&page=2

Edited by airedale

Most .223 brass picked up at a range is going to be mil-spec. It's a very 'hard' and thick brass and doesn't even like to be reloaded, let alone re-formed. There was a very good reason for this, back when enemies were recognized... ;-]

It can be annealed and whatnot, but in the end you're better off spending money on virgin brass that can be loaded 10, 15, even 20 times before being discarded. JMHO.

I form 8X57 from once fired Lake City GI 30-06 all the time.

I do trim about 3/16" off the end before I run it through the die. After that, a few turns on the LEE Zip Trim & I have nice 8X57 cases.

I wonder if the OAL is just too long?

I just for the first time have got into some 223 military brass by Lake City at a huge savings over commercial sporting brass. It was cleaned and polished like a new penny but it needed the works. It had to be deprimed and the crimps reamed out along with being trimmed to length and deburred. Not going to form anything, it will be loaded straight up to feed a CZ 527. I will give a report on it after I give it a run through.

Al