Planted winter rye

Since all the turnips have been devoured in one of my main plots, I decided to plant rye this past weekend. The ground turned over easily, no frost. I'm not sure if was too early to plant or if the seeds will even germinate. I'll just turn it over again in August for the nitrogen before the turnips get planted again. Does anyone have any idea if this planting will grow if planted this early?

why plant rye?  the deer only like it when its young and tender.  give them something to grow big antlers all summer.  i love rye in the fall and winter as long as it not planted to early.  rye is great at germinating  at low  temps, you shouldn't have any problem with it growing.    

It's an attempt to build up the soil when not producing turnips. I'll turn under the rye in August. I'm sure the deer & turkeys will benefit from the rye until then. The field will grow two crops in one year. I guess it can't hurt to try.

I use winter rye a lot, but plant it in the fall. The deer keep it mowed down in the early fall/winter.

Once spring hits, it grows rapidly, and either the deer cant keep up with it, or it is not a prefered food in spring, I dont know.

A little early,ground is pretty cold, unless it's in full sun and spring stays dry, it may rot. You could of over seeded the turnips in the fall in mid to late sept.. giving the plot a double draw in fall, the surviving plants would of brought turkey in in the spring, while providing biomass when plowed under for this year's crop of brassica..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to plant rye in the spring use a spring variety such as Gazelle or Common and NOT a winter variety (which should be planted in September),   FY:I try a triticale/field pea mix or a spring barley (this can be planted now as barley germinates at 40 degrees and ignores frost).  Triticale/pea an be planted in a couple of weeks.  That draws in many deer in june July august and adds lots of nitrogen and has a high Protein content.  Then in September plow under and get you other stuff in. IF you overseed with Clover when planting in the spring..... you only have to do it once and have a great green crop for the fall..

good luck and let us know how you did