Help With Smoking

Steve D

I received a electric Masterbuilt smoker for x-mas. Since it is somewhat outdoor temperature sensitive I waited til this past weekend to fire it up and do the 3 hr. "pre-season"  as described in the manual so now I am ready to go. 

The manual gives recommendations for 2-3 cups of chips for each time you use it. To prevent flare-ups it also says do not use over 1/2 cup of chips at a time, to check it periodically, and add chips when needed. 

My question is how often do you need to check it and add chips? I know this will vary based on weather & conditions but just trying to get a feel for how often chips need to be added and how long 1/2 cup of chips will last. During the pre-season 1/2 cup lasted approx. 1/2 hr.

Any recommendations will appreciated.

You want to soak the wood chips in water so they smoke and don't burn as much.  Also keep in mind that you don't need to have wood smoke going during the entire smoke to get good results.  You'll have to play with it a bit and keep an eye on it to see how quickly it goes through the chips. Hope this helps.

I have the electric Master Built Sportsman Elite smoker.  If you fill the chip holder until it is flush with the flat part (with dry chips), it will last about 45 min.  What I do to extend the time is soak some chips, and then put in about 1/2 soaked chips first and then 1/2 dry chips.  When you flip it over inside to dump the chips, the wet chips are on the top and the dry are on the bottom.  This basically increases my smoke time to about 1:30 on a load of chips.  I don't like using all soaked chips because you don't really get a good smoke going at first when you add them. 

I received a electric Masterbuilt smoker for x-mas. Since it is somewhat outdoor temperature sensitive I waited til this past weekend to fire it up and do the 3 hr. "pre-season"  as described in the manual so now I am ready to go. 

The manual gives recommendations for 2-3 cups of chips for each time you use it. To prevent flare-ups it also says do not use over 1/2 cup of chips at a time, to check it periodically, and add chips when needed. 

My question is how often do you need to check it and add chips? I know this will vary based on weather & conditions but just trying to get a feel for how often chips need to be added and how long 1/2 cup of chips will last. During the pre-season 1/2 cup lasted approx. 1/2 hr.

Any recommendations will appreciated.

I soak my chips overnight before i use them.  I have a propane so not sure how big your chip box is but I can easily put 4 or 5 handfulls in. Mine has a smoke damper. pretty easy to tell when the smoke is gone just by watching that. (mine never fully closes). also. any smoke after about 2 hours is a waste. IMO. it doesn't make it go deeper and only increases the smokey flavor of the outer 1/4". to much and it can actually get harsh or bitter tasting.