Research Question

ForTheBirds

I know that this is slightly off-topic, so I apologize. However, I'm interested in collecting carcasses for a scientific research study in the New York area--mostly larger animals such as deer. Does anyone have suggestions as to where we might get them? We thought roadkill would be easiest but we're having trouble finding the right contact. We'd be happy to work with local hunters too, during the appropriate seasons of course. 

Not knowing where you are located. I can only give you suggestions for around Rochester. I would try 490 west from 259 to 90 then back east to 259, also try 390 south from Henrietta as far south as you want to go then back north. I would also contact town highway departments. You check with the DEC to make sure you can take road kill without a tag.

• Like 1

Another source would be the local town highway departments. Some towns have the highway dept. pick them up OR have someone on contract to pick them up.

I wouldn't rely on the DEC to much...at least in region 8. They are constantly giving out wrong information to the public.

Hey Steve the DEC in Avon is pretty good with their information they will give you the best info they have. They will answer any question you have and if they don’t know the answer they will get back to you within a few minutes or a few days. It also helps if you talk to them and not at them.

Can't speak to where you're located, but out here in Bonneville, the Town Hwy Dept is the best source for roadkills as was mentioned above. Know a guy that's an avid coyote hunter and has an agreement with the local Town Hwy Dept. They get notified of a roadkill, they contact this guy and he picks it up for his bait pile. Everyone is happy! The carcass is removed, the town employees don't have to deal with it, disposal isn't an issue, law enforcement doesn't have to do trivial paperwork and the yote hunter is ecstatic, basically a win-win-win!

Also, to clarify, this is not a permit issue. We have the permit necessary for our study. It is more about finding a semi-consistent source of animals. Thanks!

As someone asked earlier , where the heck are you located ? There is so sense for someone in Buffalo to

try to suggest a place to get roadkill if you are in New York City, east  of Albany , etc.  ! Once again , WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED ?

I know that this is slightly off-topic, so I apologize. However, I'm interested in collecting carcasses for a scientific research study in the New York area--mostly larger animals such as deer. Does anyone have suggestions as to where we might get them? We thought roadkill would be easiest but we're having trouble finding the right contact. We'd be happy to work with local hunters too, during the appropriate seasons of course. 

Very bad move. This and one of the other bird guys on here that feed untested roadkill and such are taking a huge part in moving this dreaded CWD stuff all across or great herds!  We will lose all our deer!  We will be more likely to be eating tainted meat!

Does nobody remember all the dangers we were warned about in doing stuff as this?

Hey Steve the DEC in Avon is pretty good with their information they will give you the best info they have. They will answer any question you have and if they don’t know the answer they will get back to you within a few minutes or a few days. It also helps if you talk to them and not at them.

Larry

I made my statement based on fact. I am a NY state licensed nuisance control operator and am constantly  getting calls from people that got my number from the DEC. More often than not the people calling have an issue that is not within the authority of the license. When I ask them if they explained to the DEC the nature of their problem their answer is almost always

"yes and they gave me your number to take care of it"

Just Monday I received a call from a guy that lives on Honeoye Lake. Apparently a deer got hit on the road and went across his property and died just a few feet from the lake. He was looking for someone to remove it and called the DEC. They gave him my number. Removing deer.....dead or alive does fall under the authority of the license.

I am not knocking the DEC...just saying quite often they don't give the correct information.