Corruption and indoctrination

G-Man

I started out watching Dave Embrey and Primos vids on VHS. My favorite was "The Grey Ghost".

At the time his videos seemed pretty informative to me as a new bowhunter.

Looking back on them now he just got me hooked on PSE, but what stuck with me the most were some of his bowhunts from the ground just hiding behind a tree trunk and poking deer at point blank range.

I never payed much attention to if he was hunting behind a fence or not. Just took the information he put out there and made some modifications that fit my hunting style on the land I have access to.

The new crop of homegrown (huntervids and Vimeo) stuff is so well filmed. Really a great artistic representation of what we love.

My earlier comment jesting on the pros not filming here was more deer related but I guess holds true with our low turkey numbers now.... Could've been a lot of great filming 15 years ago to around 2012 or so. Hoping we get a good nesting spring this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hunting shows are a lot like the woodworking shows or the home improvement shows: They make the end result look easy, without showing the prep, the setup, and the knowledge required to get there. They glamorize the end product in order to lure people in, and they're sponsored by people who want to sell stuff. It's just marketing and business, and an extension of the 'infotainment' industry.

BTW, the Popeil Pocket Fisherman actually works.

• Like 2

When I decided to try turkey hunting in the 1980s I bought a cassette tape by Dick Kirby of Quaker Boy calls. He demonstrated and explained what sounds to make ,when and why. I called a Hen and then a Jake in my first year although I did not shoot the Jake.( I would have but that is another story). I also like the Knight and Hale dvds for the calling, you just have to accept the sales pitchs in the video. Hunting is big business for better or worse.

Yes but think of someone that doesn't make that distinction, how would you feel knowing there are new hunters thay think this is the way?

This is the concerning part for me. New hunters are taught to hunt using gizmos, gadgetry, and technology instead of woodsmanship and knowledge.

• Like 1

This is the concerning part for me. New hunters are taught to hunt using gizmos, gadgetry, and technology instead of woodsmanship and knowledge.

I agree with you there!!!

You'll notice that most of those shows are filmed on private land with a lot of birds as well. That's the other part that is misleading to the new comers of this sport.

It's not that easy as they make it out to be on those video's. On public lands where your in constant competition with others for the same birds, and hunter ethic's are thrown out the window to get a bird at all costs. yeah, it gets old watching those video's for sure.

• Like 1