Pa. mentored youth hunt

reeltime

we took our 9yo grandson Gavin to camp for the youth hunt that happened on Saturday. 

Gavin and I left Thursday afternoon so we would be there before dark to do some scouting and then be out Friday morning to scout.  The bird I had been watching was mia Thursday evening and again Friday morning but I did find him right back where he had been the last 3 weeks Friday evening just before  dark and just before the torrential rain started and put him to bed. 

It finally quit raining about 11pm and was partly cloudy and full moon when I got up at 3:30, had Gavin and Scott up by 4 and was on the road to the spot by 4:30.  I walked across the big field, which was about 400 yards from the truck. we timed our walking with the clouds as they covered the moon.

We got to the spot I wanted to set up and got the blind up and a hen decoy set up, again only moving when we had cover of darkness.  when it would get bright out we would stop, hunker down to try and keep off the skyline.

had everything set up and was situated in the blind well before legal shooting time. He didn't gobble till almost 6 am. and he was in a tree about 100 yards behind us. I let him do his thing and knew he had 2 hens with him. I did a flydown with the wing and then gave him some soft clucks and yelps... The moisture was really killing the sound of my burrville bomber. 

He finally followed his hens out into the field and would strut up to 60 yards then go back to his hens. we played that game till 6:45 when I went silent on him. shortly after 7am he gobbles along the woods edge. I make a call and he cuts me off and it was game on. He loved what he was hearing so I got him fired up and then fell silent again once he came up the edge of the field committed to finding the sassy hen.

we go Gavin all set and finally the bird worked up into the open and with the aid of the caldwell system shooting pod he could stay steady on his target, little did I know what scene was going to transpire was one we had reviewed many times on Friday while scouting.  The bird strutted up through the field and it was obvious once he got to a certain point he could see the decoy.

at this point it was all up to Gavin and the gobbler,  when he extended up to look at the decoy  Gavin had the crosshairs centered on the gobblers neck and took the shot.  From my results on the pattern board to the results on the live bird that little 20 ga with the federal heavyweight 7's is a deadly combination!

For 9 years old he did fantastic by making sure he was steady on the target and squeezed the trigger and not jerk the trigger.  it was a pretty happy moment for all.

20160423_072449_zpsn8gumq1o.jpg

20160423_072619_zpsjukewafp.jpg

• Like 10