First fawn of this year

Couple of years ago while turkey hunting. I hear something behind me. Here comes a still wet fawn stumbling thru the mayapples I could have tapped it on the nose with my shotgun. It stumbled out to the fields edge, looked around and came back. When leaving the woods I found about 50 feet away where it was birthed. Neat stuff.

• Like 4

It is awesome finding them. i have come across 4 or 5 over the years now. I came across this fawn last year as i was stepping around this very tree, trying to get around on a couple gobbling birds. Something just did not look right so i basically jumped and caught myself. Only to find this fawn hiding out.. took a bunch of photos. 

One fawn wasn't so lucky, I was mowing down some tall grass and weeds to start prepping a food plot early June, I saw the doe come out and slip into the woods and knew immediately there probably was a fawn in there. After mowing awhile i forgot all about it, As i got to the center of mowing the 2 acre plot, the 3rd to last pass it jumped up out and around the front wheel and ran to the field edge. Looked fine, seemed fine running. My neighbor said 2 days later a fawn was hanging out around her back door and injured in the rear. I found it a week from the mow date, dead back near my food plot.. kinda sad

This other fawn, got lucky found her right before the tractor did..  

post-5238-0-72468700-1463070334_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-00719100-1463070343_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice photo!

I know what you mean about the tractor/mower thing though. For some reason a lot of fawns are dropped in vineyards and orchards, and they're almost invisible when your primary focus has to be toward the edge.

The grass and weeds disguise them so well, along with the leaves and such in the woods, great camouflage. 

Couple of years ago while turkey hunting. I hear something behind me. Here comes a still wet fawn stumbling thru the mayapples I could have tapped it on the nose with my shotgun. It stumbled out to the fields edge, looked around and came back. When leaving the woods I found about 50 feet away where it was birthed. Neat stuff.

That is awesome, its times like these, that I am so thankful to be a hunter and outdoorsman. Where i can witness such incredible events out afield..

• Like 2

Good stuff man!

Easiest way to find the new drops is on the way to the turkey blind with the headlamp glowing. Look for the eyes reflecting back at ya and they wont budge!

Great to see you had time to snap a few pics to remember the encounter!

I can't wait to see them little buggers running around here again!

• Like 1