Gun Dog Training

walyo

I am in Cobleskill on weekends I have a 1yr. old French Brittany I imported from France last year.I would like to train with her if possible. I've had AM Britts in the past didn't really like leaving them for months at a time one was outstanding according to me.I been out of the bird hunting game for a while now have more time so it is now or never.Any info would be great.

So basic training I'm guessing? Quartering the wind, recall (whistle commands)Steady to flush and fall, what about force fetch training. Give this guy a call, I'm not vouching for him just passing his info along.

http://mountainviewpreserve.com/training.html

If you want to drive up to me (Charlton, NY) I would be willing to see the dog and possibly train it/you for a reasonable fee. I don't have a fancy web site, but I do have a passion for gun dogs.

Walyo, my friend just had his Brit trained with a guy out there that did an outstanding job. I've hunted with his dog several times and can vouch for his success!

Here is his website: http://www.baconhillkennel.com

Good luck and congratulations on the new dog!

That's Ted, not near Cobleskill but a darn good trainer with a long list of fine dogs he has trained.

Doe-  whats ur website?  I'm always interested in dogs, training, hunting, etc.

Here is my personal take on navhda.  i am by no means a pro at all.  I'm a weekend warrior with my dog.  I went to a navhda training.  i really liked what they were doing.  but i felt like there was too much waiting around.  for example, one training exercise they did was planting birds in the field and working on whoa.  the drill was great imo.   but if your dog wasn't up, you had to wait on the side until it was your turn.  So in a group of 5-6 dogs you could wait an hour or more.  I felt like I could do the same in a fraction of the time.  I joined some forums and read as much as I could.  And I trained by myself.  I don't trial or hunt test. I just hunt and my dog does exactly what I want from him.  

Idk what you personal time is like, but if you have the time and space, maybe you could do it yourself.  Sounds like you already have knowledge of dogs.  Im sure you could do it yourself.

Good luck!

Doe- whats ur website? I'm always interested in dogs, training, hunting, etc.

Here is my personal take on navhda. i am by no means a pro at all. I'm a weekend warrior with my dog. I went to a navhda training. i really liked what they were doing. but i felt like there was too much waiting around. for example, one training exercise they did was planting birds in the field and working on whoa. the drill was great imo. but if your dog wasn't up, you had to wait on the side until it was your turn. So in a group of 5-6 dogs you could wait an hour or more. I felt like I could do the same in a fraction of the time. I joined some forums and read as much as I could. And I trained by myself. I don't trial or hunt test. I just hunt and my dog does exactly what I want from him.

Idk what you personal time is like, but if you have the time and space, maybe you could do it yourself. Sounds like you already have knowledge of dogs. Im sure you could do it yourself.

Good luck!

I wasn't joking when I said I don't have a website lol. I know I made it seem like I might have a site, I don't, yet. It's coming down the road if/when we start our breeding program. We had a set back with our female recently when she decided to eat part of a Kong and get it lodged in her intestine. $4000 later and we are back on track although her cycle is off now.

Navhda is great for beginners and socializing, or people who like testing their dogs. I would go to training days but I don't have the time to dedicate a whole day and then some when I can train when ever I want here at home. I have an endless supply of free pigeons down the road and will set up to brood game birds soon.

• Like 1

I wasn't joking when I said I don't have a website lol. I know I made it seem like I might have a site, I don't, yet. It's coming down the road if/when we start our breeding program. We had a set back with our female recently when she decided to eat part of a Kong and get it lodged in her intestine. $4000 later and we are back on track although her cycle is off now.

Navhda is great for beginners and socializing, or people who like testing their dogs. I would go to training days but I don't have the time to dedicate a whole day and then some when I can train when ever I want here at home. I have an endless supply of free pigeons down the road and will set up to brood game birds soon.[/quote

Ahhh ok lol. I thought u meant u had a website but it wasnt fancy lol.

You echoed my point. Its a whole day dedicated out, but a fraction to your dog. I just didnt have the free time to dedicate with a house and kids. But I definitely could see myself joining down the road.

Just something to think about. All trainers arent for all dogs. Gonna depend on what you want, also what's in the dog (bloodlines).

French britts arent known to be big runners or hard headed so you'd want someone who trains differently than say someone looking to horseback trial a dog in American field

Thanks everybody for all your imput really appreciate it. I have a little homework to do but it should not be hard to figure out. I had called and emailed Bacon Hill but no response as of yet.

Walyo, my friend just had his Brit trained with a guy out there that did an outstanding job. I've hunted with his dog several times and can vouch for his success!

Here is his website: http://www.baconhillkennel.com

Good luck and congratulations on the new dog!

Ted out at bacon hill is excellent.  He is very involved with NAVHDA and did a great job with Schatz.  Just let him know if you are interested in field trialing or straight hunting.

Thanks everybody for all your imput really appreciate it. I have a little homework to do but it should not be hard to figure out. I had called and emailed Bacon Hill but no response as of yet.

Good luck, find the right trainer not just the one who will take her in. I went all the way to Canada to learn and get training done right the first time around.

I run Griffons, pm me anytime you want to train.

• Like 1

Happy to say I hooked up with Ted at Bacon Hill and will start next Sunday with my dog.I read a lot of good reviews about Ted and the training they do there. Ted made me feel at ease  after a long conversation and the knowing of the particular traits of the French Brittany. I will keep everybody up to date with my training.

• Like 2

Happy to say I hooked up with Ted at Bacon Hill and will start next Sunday with my dog.I read a lot of good reviews about Ted and the training they do there. Ted made me feel at ease  after a long conversation and the knowing of the particular traits of the French Brittany. I will keep everybody up to date with my training.

I had spoken with him when I was looking for a dog.  Ended up not getting one from him because the breeding didn't work out for my time frame.  But he was very informational and gave me some really good advice.  Im sure you will be pleased.  Keep us posted

• 5 weeks later...

hooked up with Ted at Bacon Hill great trainer really into it he had my dog on birds I think she did great unfortunately for me it is a little to far from my house total of 4 I/2 hours travel and training time will have to move on to a trainer closer to me in Cobleskill. Ted has some great dogs and will be having pups sometime in the next few months (G Shorthairs) well will keep you people informed

• Like 2