Naples - Contacts?

Cabin Fever

I realize this is probably a complete shot in the dark, but I gotta try. My son is moving back to NY in 2-3 weeks and wants to find an apartment in Naples. Considering this is a dinky, yet beautiful, pretty remote town, I am told by everyone (village & town clerks, store owners, realtors, rental property owners, etc...) that I've talked to down there said that apartments are snatched up as soon as they become available. They are few and far between! I've spent the past 2 days down there talking to locals, calling rental owners, driving every street looking for signs, checking out public bulletin boards, local papers, etc... with no luck. I've also done the usual with searching online, craigslist, local papers, etc... with no luck. We found 1 to look at, but it was so incredibly small 300-400sqft that it there's no way it could have worked. Never could have gotten any of his furniture in there. We drove around to the surrounding towns, but he really wants Naples, due to it's proximity to his new job and home.

Thought I would give it a shot and ask if anyone on here might either be from Naples or know anyone in Naples that might either have a rental or could put me in contact with someone that might? Feel free to PM me!

Thanks!

That's a tough one...looks like you were pretty thorough in your search. I would ask if he's considered buying? Then search for tax auctions..or bank sales...Neighbors a realtor I'll give her a call.

In general..which direction is his job? Pets? Is there a need to be in Onterio county? Naples sits very close to Stueben and Livingston

• Like 1

I think that you will find that people of that area have resigned themselves to commuting longer distances than many will accept. Rental housing situations across that entire area are far different than in metropolitan and suburban areas of higher population density. And so rental searches usually have to take in a lot larger area than just one small village.

• Like 4

He's 21 and just starting the job, so I don't think he's ready to buy anything at this point. A realtor that I spoke to yesterday asked about the possibility of purchasing also. Don't think he's ready for that commitment and responsibility yet.

His job is 10-12 miles south(ish) of Naples. We drove through area towns yesterday, but none appear as nice as Naples, or don't have stores, etc...His girlfriend would probably be staying with him and Naples would be within a decent commute for her college also. Plus, Naples would put him in the direction of home too. :rolleyes:  No pets either.

Someone suggested the Naples Community Facebook page. He tried that and asked for access, but the admin denied him, because it's only for residents! Ummm, he's trying to become a resident! LOL He tried explaining to the admin that he was looking for an apartment in Naples and would like to post an ad, but the admin completely blocked him! Welcome to Naples, a friendly little village??  

I'll probably do some more research and take another roadtrip down there next week. Hopefully I can get lucky and catch someone hanging a "Apartment For Rent" sign. LOL

What about Wayland...not to far and has stores and a little bigger than naples may be something there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edit....I'm sure there's apartments in Canandaigua but that's a solid 30 from naples

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

What about Wayland...not to far and has stores and a little bigger than naples may be something there

Edit....I'm sure there's apartments in Canandaigua but that's a solid 30 from naples

Honestly, I've never been to Wayland, but I've heard stories about the place and was discouraged from looking there.

Yeah, lots in Canandaigua, but that would put him 45+min from work. Not that far, but by the time you factor in gas in his Tundra... $$.

I'll try a different route going to Naples next week and go down from Canandaigua on Rt. 21. Maybe I can come across something along Rt. 21 that we haven't thought of yet.

I don't know your financial situation, nor is it my business, but it might be worth it to look into buying a small house in Naples yourself and renting it to your son.  Then when he's ready to move on you have an income property.  It also depends on the real estate and rental markets whether or not it could be profitable.

Just an option to consider.  

• Like 2

Good luck, I was thinking Canandaigua as well as its only 30 minutes north, but it seems his job is south of Naples .

Is the GF college in Genesso ? Know a guy on the job who lives there and has rental property there his places are well kept too.

• Like 1

South...you have Atlanta North Cohocton,Cohocton,the Far edge of Springwater, Avoca, Wheeler. It's very difficult with minimal info(which I understand) Also you need to consider 2 lane roads and winter commutes.

Our son got his house when he was 21...5 acres,2 garages pond.vinyl siding, over 3,000 sq ft 2bath 4 BR....36 thousand...bank sale...He had it payed off by the time he was 25...yes needs work do to being an old farm house...but NO MORTGAGE ans low taxes...That is security. Just something to think about...especially with rents costing what they do.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Our son got his house when he was 21...5 acres,2 garages pond.vinyl siding, over 3,000 sq ft 2bath 4 BR....36 thousand...bank sale...He had it payed off by the time he was 25...yes needs work do to being an old farm house...but NO MORTGAGE ans low taxes...That is security. Just something to think about...especially with rents costing what they do.

WOW! Now that's a deal steal!! We couldn't be lucky enough to come across something like that!

I just spoke to another realtor. No dice. He said that same thing that everyone else has said. Apartments are few and far between. They go so fast that people don't need the assistance of a realtor. ​​

A little north of Naples would be better (and more convenient to GF college and home) than south. I started looking in Bristol and Honeoye. A couple more options and 30-35 min from his work.

• Like 1

You would be surprised at what you can find ...They wanted 69,900 ...but being in construction and I worked for a realtor  some years ago...I knew that no one would get a loan...The furnace had been stolen...lol and then someone told them the septic(old farm)  wouldn't pass..Well that septic is still working(he's 30 now) and he had all new duct work for a furnace... so all that was need was installation of a new one. It had 3 block chimneys and he uses a pellet stove as back up.   those deals are  still out there ...you just need to know how to deal... ;)

He has a friend that just got a ranch house with a huge pond of the back of the house(farmer owns but he can use)  Just needed a new roof and a little remodeling.. finished basement and attached garage...38,000...bank sale. You just need to specifically ask realtor what properties are Bank sales ...or try for the next auction...link is late but an example:

http://images.auctionsinternational.com/auctions/live-auctions/2016/5-25_ontario_county/Catalog.pdf

http://images.auctionsinternational.com/auctions/live-auctions/2016/5-25_ontario_county/Catalog.pdf

http://www.taxliens.com/search/NY_101.htm

• Like 1

WOW! Now that's a deal steal!! We couldn't be lucky enough to come across something like that!

I just spoke to another realtor. No dice. He said that same thing that everyone else has said. Apartments are few and far between. They go so fast that people don't need the assistance of a realtor. ​​

A little north of Naples would be better (and more convenient to GF college and home) than south. I started looking in Bristol and Honeoye. A couple more options and 30-35 min from his work.

Cheshire is another one that way

• Like 1

We found 1 to look at, but it was so incredibly small 300-400sqft that it there's no way it could have worked. Never could have gotten any of his furniture in there. We drove around to the surrounding towns, but he really wants Naples, due to it's proximity to his new job and home.

21, single.....

And he has furniture to consider?

I live above my shop and its 500 sq ft.....maybe I need to buy some furniture and get rid of all the taxidermy so I can upgrade. :O

LOL

Good luck on the search, small towns are tough even around here for rentals.