Bought a Smoker today

fasteddie

The Field and Stream Flyer was in today's paper . It showed a Masterbuilt 30" Sportsman's Elite Electric Smoker for $!49.98 ( orig price $239.99 ) . Drove to Henrietta after church and breakfast to buy one . Also bought a 4 pack of different wood chips . I used a $20 coupon and $83.29 in gift cards . Now I have to learn to use the darned thing .

My oldest son and one of my daughters have smokers and use them on a regular basis . 

My neighbor also has a smoker and made the best Spare Ribs I ever had in my life . 

• Like 5

Eddie,

when I first got mine about 5 years ago I was worried I was over my head. It's simple as could be.  I shovel around mine and use year round. Everything seems to be smoked at 200-225. If you smoke a little too long it's no big deal. I've never found I've over smoked anything. I've been using fruit woods as IMO hickory and mesquite are TOO smoky for my taste. Some although may prefer.

Smoked almonds: sauté raw almonds in butter and your favorite dry rub. Throw in metal colindar or make an aluminum pouch

Beer can chicken: can brine but don't have to. Rub mayo on outside (it's basically fat) and dry rub, throw some butter pats under skin, insert beercan

Pork shoulder/butt : light coat of mustard, dry rub , smoke for about 3 -4 hours, throw in crockpot on low overnight , no pulling required

Wings: melt stick of butter, shake wings in bag or Tupperware, dry rub if wanted ,smoke and finish on grill for a minute or under broiler to crisp up

Venison: Cut steaks into bite sized pieces: dash of dry rub,  dab of jalapeno cream cheese ,slice of water chestnut if you'd like, wrap in 1/3 piece of

bacon

look up bacon explosions where you make a bacon lattice and stuff contents inside

Smoked trout for trout BLT's before on thick sourdough

Wild turkey breasts (none going on for me this year sadly) marinate with bottle of Italian dressing and good douse of OJ, dry rub if wanted, toothpick bacon around to cover

It's endless and easy.

It's easy. Need beer to smoke however. Neighbors and postman are always seeming to time it right and get tastes of whatever I've got on.

I like rubs with coffee and the sweet and hot made for wild game

Try some of these ideas. I think you'll find it simplistic

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3