Deerpassion 16/17 deer season (FL)

deerpassion

Well, I'll try this again. Last one got lost or deleted with all the site changes.

To recap, my honey hole it shut down for the year for deer due to high water from rain this past winter affecting fawn survival supposedly. Was due to kick off the season Aug 6th, but now have to wait till Aug. 28th for a different WMA to open up.

Went out to grab my cams outa there n got lit up by bee's. Tagged me 19 times that I can see in the mirror. Did see a dandy buck off the levy driving out. Biggest deer I've seen in person in FL.

Oh well, not to high on hopes for this other public land as it gets hit hard and a lot of swamp buggies roaming around . Pretty much need some sorta bad ass 4 x 4 to get through some big water holes to get back into the good stuff away from everyone.

Got back too late also to apply for permits for draw hunts. But we'll see what happens this year.

Keep ya'll posted with pics and sort of a live from my stand

Pic of the last buck I shot before I came to NY....

. fd1b17a22cb74ca04cfbbc5c6e9f4834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On the plus side.... I did pick up an original mint condition tree lounge today from a lady who obviously didn't know what she had for 100 buck off of "let go" app. Still has original instructions and advertisement magazine and not a scratch on it ...

It's the latest version they made which happens to be the lightest . So I'm going to thoroughly enjoy gun season this year!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, deerpassion said:

Well deer season starts tmorrow . Gonna miss opening day cause I have to bring my truck in to the shop , grrr. Be out Sunday , try n remember to post a few pics of the circus ...

Good luck out there and keep hydrated! I couldn't imagine hunting in that kind of heat. 

• Like 1

How do guys and gals treat a deer shot at dusk with the bow down there? I can't imagine leaving a deer overnight in that heat.

Good luck to you on Sunday

Retrieve ASAP as the shot allows ... Never had to let one lay overnight down here ( Nock on wood) but pretty sure it's a loss at that point. That's what drove me nuts about guys up by you that bitch about temps in the 40's and shooting deer .... Meat will be FINE!!!

• Like 3

Retrieve ASAP as the shot allows ... Never had to let one lay overnight down here ( Nock on wood) but pretty sure it's a loss at that point. That's what drove me nuts about guys up by you that bitch about temps in the 40's and shooting deer .... Meat will be FINE!!!

Yes it will espcially low 40's I'm certified to teach the food handlers exam..... The exception to this would be a gut shot deer, most of the meat will still be fine but anything that comes in contact with inner fluids from the stomach or intestines should be discarded...

c4db5fc6686548a1542ba7860ad9561e.jpg

7eda1725367bfe802a899059e90bf9f2.jpg

A little overcast n breezy , not to bad compared to the walk in ! I'm drenched, but good to be back in the tree.

Bumped a doe on the way in , Bucks only (1 antler with 3 pt's 1 inch or better) for the first 2 weeks , then doe's are legal for a week, then Bucks only again for remainder of season regardless of implement. Could shoot hogs but that's too much work for one guy , who knows how ichy my finger is ...,

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, deerpassion said:

c4db5fc6686548a1542ba7860ad9561e.jpg

7eda1725367bfe802a899059e90bf9f2.jpg

A little overcast n breezy , not to bad compared to the walk in ! I'm drenched, but good to be back in the tree.

Bumped a doe on the way in , Bucks only (1 antler with 3 pt's 1 inch or better) for the first 2 weeks , then doe's are legal for a week, then Bucks only again for remainder of season regardless of implement. Could shoot hogs but that's too much work for one guy , who knows how ichy my finger is ...,

Good luck out there! Loving the scenery as well. 

Hey, you said you weren't hunting opening day and will hunt Sunday. I'm pretty sure it's the same day in Florida as NYdefault_rolleyes.gif  Enjoy your sit and good luck. And dang they make the regs look difficult to NY's debacle of no does during first 2 weeks of bow and Ml season in certain areas.

Haha I lied, got the truck outa the shop by noon n raced home n out ...

• Like 2

Temp tday was 89 due to overcast conditions . Saw 2 doe's in range but not legal till the 10th ... Total take for opening day for this WMA was 6 bucks and 1 hog. Biggest buck was 170 lb 7pt... That's a fat boy for down here ! At it again in the morning.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, deerpassion said:

Palm beach gardens( south FL) basically south east corner of lake okechobee ...

Is the hunting good in the glades over there? I've heard the Pan Handle has great deer hunting, although its the Redneck Rivera up there!!!  I have a place in Pompano, just south of you.  I fish out of there.

I used to live at the PGA natural

Not sure where that is but I'm hunting Corbett now, not sure if u know where that is but, my honey hole is off of highway 27 north of sawgrass fish camp , but got shut down due to high water over the winter. Central Florida has much better hunting per say than we do down here, have a few spots up there , but they open mid September ...

Not sure where that is but I'm hunting Corbett now, not sure if u know where that is but, my honey hole is off of highway 27 north of sawgrass fish camp , but got shut down due to high water over the winter. Central Florida has much better hunting per say than we do down here, have a few spots up there , but they open mid September ...

It's a gated community off of PGA boulevard not to far from the gardens mall

For those of you who aren't familiar with what a swamp buggy is, this is a dumded down version, redneck if you will, but there are a ton of high dollar fancy buggy's running around with 6 1/2 foot tires , powder coated , bucket seats, surround sound speakers , n the list goes on ... Be posting more as I see em... Been a little bit of a slow opening weekend ...

155b4b539e037111663a95d16c733e30.png