Mid to Long Range Glass

eagle rider

7mm may be a long range gun, but hunting in the northeast (I assume that is where the OP is intending to use his scope/rifle setup) usually requires nothing beyond 150 yards.

OP, all of the scopes look decent enough on paper...they all come from reputable manufacturers.  The 3-9 magnification range is more than adequate for the type of shots you'll likely be taking in NY.  Is the Burris front focal plane or rear focal plane?  If it's FFP, I'd definitely give it some serious consideration.  

I don't hunt farm fields but in NY, but I would think 400yard shots are possible, no? I remember as a kid my dad had access to a farm field in dutchess county and we target shoot well beyond 400 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don't hunt farm fields but in NY, but I would think 400yard shots are possible, no? I remember as a kid my dad had access to a farm field in dutchess county and we target shoot well beyond 400 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

400 yard hunting shots are certainly possible in NY, I just don't think they are the norm.

The tree stands I've used and seen have generally been set up on the edge of farm fields, where the deer are likely to cross or pop out, so the shots aren't normally that long....obviously that is a generalization to which there are exceptions.  

And then when you start talking about still hunting in the woods, the distances get even shorter.  Anyway, my point was that a scope with 3-9 magnification is realistically more than sufficient for the type of hunting someone would do in NY.

• Like 1

We are mixed opened field and hard timber.  In the woods shooting lanes range from 50 to 125 yds.  Across fields 300 yds plus.  I am 50/50 on about 45 deer on that property (total lease is 1600 acres with 12 ladders).  The majority of the shots into the fields from stand locations tend to be far off.  last season we had a shot in camp that was 400 yds.  Edge of field stand on the opposite edge as the buck stepped out of the wood line.  Lat year I passed up two meat doe (stupidly) that were both 3/4's out in the same field from the tree stand.  The year before I had an uphill 250 yd shot at a deer.  The year prior to that cross field on the same hillside at 300 yds.   

By comparisons, I have a very productive stand in the woods that has sideways lanes of 50 yds and forward lanes on 100. Another stand goes downhill into an orchard that is 250 yds straight out and 100 yds to the sides.  We have two stands that went in last year that were hill top and at opposing corners of a horse pasture (not used after the summer).  Each one of these stands is 300 yds plus across the fields.  

Another stand is on the edge of a swap the allows for everything from bow shots to 350 yd shots depending on where they pop out in the swamp.  This in the winter, due to beaver damming on a couple of creeks that feed the swap, flood timber to one side of it that falls off into a bottom beneath a ridge line.  Above that is a cow pasture of adjacent property. That flooded timber has natural lanes of 250 yds.  

So by northeast standards we have fairy long shots.  

Edited by eagle rider

7mm mag cross hairs on the top of it's back will cover all your setups except the 400 yard stand situation.  already picked up a scope but I'd have opted to use regular reticle on a better Burris scope for the money.  Seeing how you're happy with Burris.

• Like 2