Chinese SKS Knowledge??

I have a Chinese SKS that my uncle gave me years ago.  I'm thinking about selling it but can't figure a price.  It was a "bring back" from Vietnam.  He was in the Air Force and brought it back in 1969.  I have all the papers noting it as a "war trophy".  Pretty interesting stuff!

It has a name carved into the butt area of the stock, in Chinese or some other language.  All serial numbers match and the bayonet is perfect.  There is some damage to the fore end section of the stock, from battle I'd guess.

My uncle never shot it and neither have I.  I do have 50 rounds of ammo; 40 of them are in two boxes marked "Norinco"  Peoples Republic of China.

Anybody here have an idea of the value? 

The bayonet may be a legal issue even for a collectable..I may be wrong but thought they where illegal in NY if attached...might want to just check that. Not sure they are even legal to sell in NYS.. Chinese over Russian ...200-250?

Edited by growalot

I have a Russian SKS that was my Dad's, I bought a bunch of the cheap military ammo and some stripper clips and played around with it. Actually had quite a bit of fun, not the most accurate but is totally reliable.

As for your Uncle's SKS I can tell you some of the military stuff with documentation like you have may increase the value of that gun substantially with certain collectors. I don't have any idea what it may be worth but at a big gun show like the fall one coming up in Syracuse there are many collectors dealing with military weapons that may be able to give you an accurate estimate of it's value.

Al

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have a Russian SKS that was my Dad's, I bought a bunch of the cheap military ammo and some stripper clips and played around with it. Actually had quite a bit of fun, not the most accurate but is totally reliable.

As for your Uncle's SKS I can tell you some of the military stuff with documentation like you have may increase the value of that gun substantially with certain collectors. I don't have any idea what it may be worth but at a big gun show like the fall one coming up in Syracuse there are many collectors dealing with military weapons that may be able to give you an accurate estimate of it's value.

Al

The documentation and serial numbers are everything with these guns.  The paper work is VERY thorough.  I think it's cool that they call them "War Trophy's"........not too PC, huh? 

IIRC. The bayonet lug is just one of the features used to determine an " assault rifle" but since the  SKS has a fixed box magizine that's a moot point, as an assault rifle has to,have a removable box  magizine .

If the gun is over 50 years old then of course it falls under C&R regulations ( curio and relics).

After the safe act SKS prices climbed as they didn't  fall under " assault weapon ", guys were getting $700 plus . Today I don't know . I'll look around .

edit. It seems if you,have the " capture papers" it's a total different animal, you could be looking at $1,000 or more. Based upon a quick Google search , of Viet Nam SKS .

http://www.georgestragand.com/gunstockmarket/sksMarketReport2014H1.php

Edited by Larry302

1 minute ago, Larry302 said:

I'm just happy you have the papers and what is needed to have value.

it always the opposite for me, I think what I have is worth something only to find it's not worth squat !

OH, I've had plenty of those "things" too.  :)

Tell you what, I scored a Garcia Mitchell 300 in New Condition, completely unused for $15 at an estate sale a few weeks ago.  I sold it on Ebay a few days later for $165.......a pretty good ROI.  Winner!

Dogs are usually what I end up with though.

• Like 1

tons of them brought back from nam, we brought several barrels of them and handguns back too, the chrome lined barrels lasted great in the jungle and still last today.

if the original bolt is in it, and it sounds like it is, its $300  with zero damage, the carved up stock and damaged forearm is probably int he $200 or so range until the bolt is replaced, you probably alredy know this but the sks has a free floating firing pin that gets stuck in the fire position, everytime the bolt closes it fires, safety on or off, it will slam fire until  the magazine is empty.

the cheap Russian ammo with berdan primers will stick that firing pin forward in the fire position and nothing will move it back until the bolt is dissembled and fixed. there are several companies making replacement bolts for the sks,  we had a few bolts and firing pins made and reworked from ben murray he did a great job, ran about $50 a bolt.

well worth it if you've ever released the bolt on a 10 round mag in the sks and had it buuurppp right though them, you'll be happy to get that bolt replaced.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM, growalot said:

The bayonet may be a legal issue even for a collectable..I may be wrong but thought they where illegal in NY if attached...might want to just check that. Not sure they are even legal to sell in NYS.. Chinese over Russian ...200-250?

If you have a stock sks they are not classified as asult weapons no pistol grip no detachable magazine.  Those are legal as long as you don't modify them 

• Like 1