Crappy Year

gfdeputy2

Been a rough & Busy year at work & at home. I have not had much spare time for fun. Heck I didn't think I could put less miles on the Harley then I did last year 105miles                well this year I put on 3 miles took it out of winter storage to home & that was it will have a whopping total of 6 miles when I bring it back but actually toying with the idea of just selling it. Deer / Turkey season starts here in NH 3 weeks today & I am not even close to ready. Normally shoot my bow 365 days a year & could not find time to get out & shoot till last week. Funny thing is I had shot the best I have shot in a very long time. I may have a late start to the season this year for NH season & I have decided I will not be going to NY this year. It sucks but have more important things to take care of & will be back out there next year. Good Luck to all of you this year & be safe hope I can at least start finding some time to at least get on here & chat

same boat here I have my mother in-law living with me for the last  2 years + she is 90years old & needs to be watched 24/7 summer was ok when my oldest daughter was home from college to help watch her. so the wife & I could get caught up on all the stuff we needed to get done. She went back to school last weekend so starting the 15th I may have to work late (in the stand) Till Dec 15th

• Like 1

It's been about 13 years since I retired, and a big part of the decision to bail was that same kind of feeling. I was being choked with less and less self-directed time. As the cutbacks and downsizing increased, so did the unpaid mandatory overtime to make up for the missing bodies. And then they tried to make me carry a company phone so that essentially I was on limitless call around the clock. And as a reward for all this abuse, there became the repeated statement that I was topped out in my profession unless I went back to college for even more education, which was not going to happen at that stage of my life. so the compensation stagnated. That did it, I was out the door.

But I remember thinking, where is all this going to end? What is in store for future generations? Well maybe this and other similar threads are now providing the answer. Yes I see that you have an even more time-consuming burden than I ever had with your Mother-in-law, but you did mention work demands as well. It seems to me that there has to be some way of living besides becoming a corporate slave. Somewhere through the years, we replaced working to live with living to work. Damn, you only get one crack at this thing called life. It seems that we owe it to ourselves to do it right. I was fortunate because all this stuff was beginning as I came into retirement age. So I knew exactly what to do. But I still wonder where it will all end with each successive generation.

• Like 6

Hear ya NYAntler but my priority is & has always been my family & my kids education so I have no choice but to put in the hours to help pay for college. My oldest is in her third year & my youngest heading off next year. pretty sad when 4 years of college cost more than it did to buy my property & build my house. Hell I even have 30 years to pay off the house

Been busy here too...working 10 hr days 5 days a week with an occasional weekend too. Getting ready for school year deer and trapping season. Havn't even gotten my Harley inspected this year. I have been riding it tho. Don't sell your bike even if it's 100 miles a summer still the best 100 miles you could as for

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear this gfdeputy2  .

You did keep your MIL out of a nursing home though, she's better off at your home .Although it's a full  me job , well four actually to do 24/7. 

My Mom went from Us, to assisted living ( which was a very good one and she did well there), to a nursing home . We worked with an elder care attorney , for both picking a good one, and setting up a private annuity to save on the private pay costs.

Private pay runs about 15 k a month , although we got that down quite a bit. The issue  is the fast turnover of staff, it's the staff that makes a place good or bad , it went from good to not so good in short order , the staff at your house wil remain the best there is .

You'll get through this .

• Like 1