New stiffer arrows.. Help me tune.

zeus1gdsm

1 hour ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Well I moved the rest to the left 1 hash or 1mm. And arrows flight became extremely erratic. And the gap between FP and BHs increased.

What if you move it back the other way one hash? Experiment, honestly as long as you have consistent BH flight you can always go back to the settings that gave you good groups and adjust sights for the year. Its not right but sometimes its just easier.

I got rid of my WB for these reasons, I never felt like I had a 100% perfect tune no matter what bow I had and what I did.

Wait I see the issue, its a Matthews. Throw that out and go buy a Hoyt, they tune themselves while you sleep. I kid...

What he said!

Another thing to try if you think it's a spine issue is shooting a lighter head if your shooting 100's try some 85's just get field points and try them 5$ could cure your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, Doewhacker said:

This is why I am a huge fan of micro adjust rests and sights, some times a fraction is all that is needed to make it perfect.  It never failed with me, I'd be a hair off and try to make an adjustment and spaz out and move way to much by accident. 

The good news is Zeus you are almost there and this is a cool thread for others in this situation. 

definitely.... oh I went 4 clicks over and that didn't do so well.  4 clicks back get me back to almost good enough.

34 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Alright I'll leave the nock point alone then.

Spine.

50lb draw. 30 length. Arrows 31
I was previously shooting 0.424 7.5 gpi pse stl hunter 200:

Now using whitetail hunters. 339 spine and 7.8 gpi

Should I try even stiffer arrows?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

no don't go stiffer

Those arrows would be very stiff at my draw length on a 50lb bow with 100g heads.  That said, I don't have a 30" DL and that will impact dynamic spine a ton so I really don't know if those are way too stiff or manageable.  You appear to still have some arrows flying stiff (nock right tip left) and some straight.  (they will tend to enter the target straighter at further distances since the fletching has more time to steer the arrow) Best guess is that you have adjusted the centershot to make up for arrows that are too stiff by moving the rest towards the riser (right) and now your broadheads are planing to the right.  That said (and its a wild guess), the fact that you had BHs both left and right of your FPs above at 30 is a good sign.  Not sure you can ever bring them together and get great arrow flight if the arrows are way to stiff.  Can you measure your current centershot, ie. measure from the inside of the riser to midway on top of your arrow at rest?  I am curious if you have it set closer to the riser than recommended by the manufacturer (not sure what bow that is).  Do you see fishtailing by the arrows in flight? 

It is tough to tune remotely.  lol

Final pic of the day. Groups at 30. Lighted are fps.
3451eb3b6d26b8aa61577b7866116e63.jpg

Doesn't work if you can't see the nock. One BH is up left the other low right. So fps stacked with BHs.

I did notice a tiny bit of fishtail. Not huge concentric circles like I had with the lighter arrows tho.

2 hours ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Final pic of the day. Groups at 30. Lighted are fps.
3451eb3b6d26b8aa61577b7866116e63.jpg

Doesn't work if you can't see the nock. One BH is up left the other low right. So fps stacked with BHs.

I did notice a tiny bit of fishtail. Not huge concentric circles like I had with the lighter arrows tho.

that's not bad.  hard to say if it can be better without being there.

Well I think I may have gotten it.

Looking through all the pictures I've posted I kept noticing one thing... Even my field points aren't grouping well...

So I did some more reading on spines. Started comparing various arrow spine charts from different manufacturers etc.

Going over this info and compare and contrasting it. I noticed that depending on the chart, sometimes my arrows came out overly stiff. However if I jumped up to 125 grains. My arrows were spined perfectly.

So looking at the pictures again. I noticed what I believe doewacker said about the arrows canted to the right. And I noticed a few.

Rather than order another half dozen arrows to test the possible bad spine issue, I went back to the charts that showed head grains category. Again they all showed that the stiffer arrow spine would be fine with 125g heads.

So I put on 125g fps. I shot the following group. 2 arrows at a time. With a 10 minute rest between each group at 10-20-30. And I am pleasantly surprised.

e034b77faaad05ee47b5c076bbd7b249.jpg

Looks like I just need to move left a fraction and drop my 20 and 30 yard pins a hair as well.

I also noticed that the arrows except for one (the flier) rocketed straight out of the bow with no fishtail.

went back and looked. some charts had you borderline too stiff and others said you were just right.  with a 125gr head weight all of them said you were just right as you said.  better to add point weight and FOC to correct being borderline too stiff on a hunting bow.  I've tried doing the opposite and never got arrows to fly as well.  good to see you figured it out.