Acorns

Grizz1219

this I why I don't like cams. Please don't take offense but instead of being in the woods to see if trees are heavy w nuts, if they're falling, which species n where which as hunters we should know in order to set up, we're contemplating why deer are less visible on a camera. Doesn't seem to be a great acorn year in the places I hunt, it's not a bust just not extreme by any means

22 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

this I why I don't like cams. Please don't take offense but instead of being in the woods to see if trees are heavy w nuts, if they're falling, which species n where which as hunters we should know in order to set up, we're contemplating why deer are less visible on a camera. Doesn't seem to be a great acorn year in the places I hunt, it's not a bust just not extreme by any means

If he doesnt have permission to where the oaks are how would he scout? Seems cams would help him in this situation instead of trespassing.

27 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

So you're advocating pressuring them?

Trust me... If I could go to where the oaks are, I would be there..... I keep 30 plus yards from the line, in as far as I can go... And deal with what comes out... on low acorn years I see/shoot more deer... it all works out in the end... And I never take offense to any comments... We all have our own styles and I take every suggestion into consideration... I start scouting in July and then start putting out cameras in August... and see what happens from there... 

Well I moved my cams the moment the favored trees were dropping...with 200 oak and a 150 dropping at least some...it was some leg work.....I went for my morning walk and the woods sounded like a rain storm...beech have been dropping for a month here at the house...in the woods they are literally raining down now. The doe have all moved back with the fawns...(off the beans)  young buck are moving through...another 1 1/2 weeks the big boys will be on a major move around here. They will have plenty of scent to follow...just saw a nice doe with triplets the other day.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, skiop said:

So you're advocating pressuring them?

Why would you assume pressure? Deer are not in the oaks mid day. Late summer I typically scout by looking into the trees in known oak areas. I mentally log where white oaks are n blacks full of nuts. As the season progresses I'll know where to look next as one tree or more is depleted. Most guys go into the woods in their area more than me checking cameras. I'm not bashing anyone but we're losing our woodsmanship n it's not good. I also don't hunt one small piece so not having acorns or farm crops in an area won't hurt me, Id just go somewhere else. If you have no food sources you'd have to set cams either in bed areas or transitions between the two. One small area limits our ability to hunt the wind n rest areas. All hunting 101. Again no bash to anyone I just don't think technology should be swapped for hunt knowledge or woodsmanship but you all can do what you like