Now the fun begins!

growalot

As I type a couple of hundred acres of corn is being chopped into a fine confetti...they have a new machine being followed by 3 huge dump trucks being filled to 3feet above sides...It's so sharp and quiet I'm surprised how fast they are whizzing by the house ....No where to hide and no huge source of food....I'm the only game in the area for any corn now....What great timing with just 10days before the opener ...This will have the boys out and looking for new areas to feed in...cams will pick up...,best get all the pumpkins we want out of the field...brought 8 in for the family to look over, dying leafs have revealed around 40...along with deer prints all around...

• Like 1

This was a big part of the reason I haven't hung my stands yet. Corn is still up here and sometimes it's not cut until the first week or two of October.

I didn't want to hang them for the early sign I'm seeing now and then see the fields mowed just before the opener. That happened to me a couple years ago and it was a real PITA relocating all my stands during season. There have been years where the farmer has left it standing on this farm and never cut any of it, so I never know what to expect.

I give it less than a week and they will have several inches of liquid manure sprayed on top on it...essentially shutting down a whole lot of land from even travel...This drives them to my beech/oaks woods and the neighbors golden rod/slashings and because these fields are next to us on one side and kitty corner us and them across the street they will travel through our woods to get to my plots...but also the streams running our place to the swamps..out of 6 we still have 4 running good. They bed in the golden rod on one bordering neighbor and cross to my plots I planted near there...walk the center of property by house.  That is where 8 mature oaks are and it keeps them from the new activity on the old hunters camp...yep won't be all that difficult catching something on cams before season...I may change stand ideas/blind.

• Like 1

Wow...They have been going to town...hundreds of acres of corn ...gone!They had the one cutter at the shop for repairs or maintenance this afternoon and the smell of rotting silage was already burning my nose...usually not quite this hot when corn cutting is done 82 /85 degrees....they left a trail of corn stalks down the road a good 5 miles...lol

As fast as they are going compared to last year...I think their yield is going to be low per field...Last year it took them nearly all day just to do our field and the # of trucks was phenomenal....there was just one field they didn't do yet about 3 miles from the house...Well in range of the normal route many good bucks take here...So food will now be big on their list of things to find...the doe will be looking to feed their young and the bucks will need energy and to find the does hold outs...

I love the corn being gone...watched the big six sparing with a very long tined spike...The crew must know the  lease guys...They left standing corn in front of their stands and what looks like a 30 ft long 2 ft deep swath of corn in front of them as well. I hope to get some pics...to dark for long distance on my camera.

Chef...thats a good point that I noticed after starting the thread. Which is fine by me...for I suppose it isn't much different than if I had decided to call it a journal.

That said...you answered didn't you...and Lawd saw it for what, it is...if you lived where your only view is 10ft corn stalks 50 ft off your deck for months...then you can see all the fall activity where you've taken some awesome pics in years past..you'd be excited too. On kindle so can't post examples..Will tomorrow

Chef...thats a good point that I noticed after starting the thread. Which is fine by me...for I suppose it isn't much different than if I had decided to call it a journal.

That said...you answered didn't you...and Lawd saw it for what, it is...if you lived where your only view is 10ft corn stalks 50 ft off your deck for months...then you can see all the fall activity where you've taken some awesome pics in years past..you'd be excited too. On kindle so can't post examples..Will tomorrow

Grow i love reading it I was just pointing it out! I know your excited we all are! Your corn is getting cut and my loan officer said I should close next Thursday! I may even have a day to hang a few stands lol.... This thread is really about what makes us tick as hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

This thread is really about what makes us tick as hunters

How true..at least for me...I miss my old view,but I suppose the corn makes me appreciate the view when it returns...field was full of deer this a.m....hope to get some pics the next few days...but here are some old ones taken around the same time of year before the the corn...last one is blurring due to distance and my being in a dark woods late afternoon..But This is what my view use to be...Yes it makes you tick as a hunter......

IMG_0742b.JPG

IMG_0039b.JPG

IMG_1331b.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

The fields I was most concerned with got cut yesterday as well as I checked my cams. Finally something I can count on!

I'll be "hanging around" there for the next week or so with my camera to see what's coming out in the open before dark!

Exciting is an understatement to me now!

• Like 1

They have a new crew chief...and I noticed a few things this year...he leaves some pretty big gaps when seeding and significant amounts of corn in all the fields...If it's noticeable to me, I'd be surprised if the owner doesn't take note as well. Ya the big boys have been "playing" just on the edge of the wood lots...This early season here could be a great one for rattling ,grunting and decoys...I'm after meat so will hold off a little bit on those...I want Wilsons , jerky and canning out of my way. I can then relax a bit mentally and just enjoy the hunts. Not that if a nice one walks by in good range and angle I won't let -er- rip...:wink:I so enjoy standing on the deck with a cup of coffee before light hearing....tick, tick, tick,rattle ,tick, tick..........

• Like 1

On 9/20/2016 at 8:32 AM, growalot said:

As I type a couple of hundred acres of corn is being chopped into a fine confetti...they have a new machine being followed by 3 huge dump trucks being filled to 3feet above sides...It's so sharp and quiet I'm surprised how fast they are whizzing by the house ....No where to hide and no huge source of food....I'm the only game in the area for any corn now....What great timing with just 10days before the opener ...This will have the boys out and looking for new areas to feed in...cams will pick up...,best get all the pumpkins we want out of the field...brought 8 in for the family to look over, dying leafs have revealed around 40...along with deer prints all around...

Fortune smiles upon you,sir.